View Poll Results: What is your favorite map ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: CWBP 2 Deciding the map

I'm not sure that putting deadlines is a good thing in our case. We should wait to have enough entries before voting.

Ok, lets hope people put some new ones up. I am worried of course that we won't progress without a little definitiveness though.

I am one of those that has not spoken up because of inability to commit time. Also, because I only intermittently check the guild )for the aforementioned time). Reading through this thread, I see a clear request for the opinions of people like myself, so here you go;

1) I would love to be involved in this project, and I believe the best idea for you is to go forward with the people you have, and let people join or leave along the way. It's going to happen anyway, and if you make it clear that is not only okay, but an intended part of the project, the whole thing becomes so much more approachable.

2) I like option #6 (from this post) for the map best, for the outlines. However, it looks like some of the climate effects are already included. For me personally, I like realistic climate areas in my maps (because I am a geography student, so that's sorta my thing). So, I like the landforms alot, but I'd like to adjust the climates to suit realistic patterns (presuming the world is a sphere spinning in a void travelling an elliptical orbit around a distant heat-producing body - if not, then, whatevs). There is, however, alot of land. Can the amount of space between landmasses be increased a bit, while you're adjusting the eastern landmass? Also, alot of the way weather works on Earth is driven by the location and relationship of the landmasses/oceans; if we flip the map 180°, weather patterns will be easier to predict.

3) I personally think the first suggested method for dividing up the map is the wisest, because it is so simple and direct. As you will have people joining the project late, you want the process to be as smooth and intuitive - which I believe this method does well.

Also, I would be up for collaborating on a single area, if another user wished. I love doing worldbuilding, but am not yet all that good at making pretty maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59420d1385688469-cwbp-2-deciding-map-world-proposal-equilrectangular.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	641.9 KB 
ID:	59984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59909d1387895223-cwbp-2-deciding-map-plot-example-2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	59986  

Tomalak spoke a key thought - that not only will folks join, but also folks will inevitably leave. They'll leave after they finish their bit, or amid a creative flurry, or barely started. That's behavior not to bemoan, but to build the enterprise around. So whatever our structure is, it has to fly well with a variety of participation levels and durations.

Not apropos of any of the other discussions, but aside, I'd suggest we encourage individual maps be done in public, in WIP threads, and that 'license' be granted for others to pick up where one left off, if one leaves the project.

Heh - that could be fun on purpose -- several of us work up a quadrangle to half done, then everybody trades with the cartographer on their right :-).

You are right Tomalak, we should keep it simple while having fun and trying to make it look good.

One thing though, map 6 don't show climates, it's more about the topography.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Not apropos of any of the other discussions, but aside, I'd suggest we encourage individual maps be done in public, in WIP threads, and that 'license' be granted for others to pick up where one left off, if one leaves the project.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I was naively assuming that people would have WIP's, but being explicit that it is preferable doesn't hurt. Perhaps if one leaves a plot they are working on they can just post so and somebody may take off from where they started. If a long time passes on one of these abandoned WIP's with no activity at all it may be prudent to just release the plot entirely.

The biggest interests in stalled or abandoned plots is likely to be from bordering mappers if there are any.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    One thing though, map 6 don't show climates, it's more about the topography.
    I had taken the darker and lighter areas to be indicative of rainfall. They do not seem to indicate anything else, but are placed artistically, rather than scientifically

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    By the way I don't like the eastern part either, most of it doesn't work. I wanted to have a very large landmass though, and some landlocked waters. Now that there is time I'll probably work on it some more and resubmit it.
    I kind of like the eastern landmass, although the area from the polar peninsula east to the second large east-ward sticking protrusion does have an awkward shape to the coastline. I look forward to seeing the next edition!

What do people think about having someone (I volunteer, but am not insisting if someone else wants to) draw up a global weather pattern, as a guideline to local mapmakers?

Are we locked in on those entries or is it possible to get a few more world map themes up for potential voting?

We are seeking more entries for the next vote.

I might be able to come up with something. Need more input from the other thread regarding genre before I put pencil to paper though.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast