View Poll Results: What is your favorite genre?/ What is your favorite level of magic?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genre: High fantasy/heroic fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Mid fantasy

8 66.67%
  • Genre: Low fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Science fantasy

4 33.33%
  • Genre: Steampunk

1 8.33%
  • Genre: Science fiction

2 16.67%
  • Genre: Post apocalyptic

2 16.67%
  • Magic: High magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: Mid magic

9 75.00%
  • Magic: Low magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: No magic

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CWBP 2 : Determining the genre and era

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So far, not much has been decided. Well, we agreed on a couple of things.

For the setting:
    Mid fantasy with mid magic (pretty common fantasy world)

Era: middle age or renaissance seems the most popular

Astrophysics: we tried to make it more exotic but in the end it will probably end in something that only have a visual effect (such as having 2 moons but the second one is very far)

Other suggestions:
    The guy with the weird eyed avatar (Ghostman!?) suggested that people would rather use major magical power source instead of the magnetic poles to navigate/travel. Not that there is no magnetic poles, it's just that people either don't know about it or do not use it. They use magical sources and starcharts to get around.

modernhamlet suggested a denser atmosphere that would allow flying devices like daVinci or something. But if it's just about flying boats, magic can solve the problem too.

Aside from that we still need a world map. I see 2 ways to achieve this.

1: everyone submit a map and we choose the best.

or 2: we begin to wonder what we would like the map to look like and we build it together. Or one of us build/modify it and wait for approval.
    At the beginning, I wanted to do #2 but too few people seemed interested at the time so I made a contest. It did not really work that well in my opinion. I'm sure 2 would be better. I think someone told me he would like a pangea world. Well that is the kind of suggestion that could start a discussion. So, what kind of world do we want? Any particular geographic elements? We don't need to have the whole world right on the beginning; we can just start with one continent. But the general layout of the world should be completed before mapping regional areas.

The other thing we discussed was dividing the map for regional mapping. Squared or odd shaped? With or without buffer zones?
    Depending on how Viewingdale work (a mapping software), buffer zones might be unnecessary if it's easy to update. I'll ask Redrobes about that.

How to create the world:
    1: everyone take some lands and decide what's on it. It end up more a patchwork than a credible world

2: decide collectively, vaguely what's on the land: approximate countries boundaries, or cultural boundaries, important cities. The idea is to make a credible fictional world that is interesting to read about or playing in a RPG.

ps: I know that my point of view is totally biased
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-26-2014 at 12:25 AM.