Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kobold Hall

Guild Apprentice

Nice! If you're all done by next week chances are I'll be using this for my one shot group... Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Cool, I like it. You may want to consider one of the textures on this page for your current (or any upcoming) slime pools.

That site rocks. Some really nice textures. I really like the Egg Veins one...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by stuamn View Post
    @ torstan, jfrazierjr and sigurd - I'm downloading maptool to have a look. I just used gametable as a test. I don't think the party would mind swapping from gametable as during the last adventure I published a very large tile and everyone else's computers rebooted. They didn't see the funny side.
    Yea, I like free also. If you have any questions on Maptool, like I said earlier, feel free to ask over there or in this thread. Also, be sure to check out the tutorials on http://rptoolstutorials.net, and you can get plenty of good ideas from there alone. There is even a tutorial specifically for those who just play and not set up maps. Again, one thing to remember is that these tutorials were made 6+ months ago (most of them) and there has been a huge amount of dev work and Maptools has changed quite a bit in that time. New tutorials will be coming as soon as this version has locked down and dev starts on the 1.4 branch.

EDIT: I also added a noise layer (render>clouds>plasma>desaturate) as suggested, and once again the maps are not 100% the same as the DMC, this is due to me moving/adding link up corridors
    Much nicer. The floor looks a lot more random now with the noise layer over top.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

@torstan - thanks, it was jfrazierjr who suggested the noise layer (its what added most of the shadows

@steel general - thanks, I've bookmarked that site, one of the later rooms has a frozen pool. That site has some excellent textures, a couple of which will be perfect for the pool.

Guild Apprentice

rooms three and four - these are all WIP and I may update them before the end of the week, it's just I have free time today, something that I will be lacking for the next few days. The last room (behind a secret door on the left) I have 50% done.

@ Hawke - I need to get them finished for a game on Saturday, so the latest I'll have them finished is Friday night. I would rather get them out of the way before then
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kr3.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	5408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kr4.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	5409  

I don't think the party would mind swapping from gametable as during the last adventure I published a very large tile and everyone else's computers rebooted. They didn't see the funny side.
    Wow. That's quite a bug!

A suggestion for your slime: reduce the saturation and brightness a bit--that should help it sit better in the image and not look quite so phosphorescent. Unless you want it to glow in the dark, which might also be a cool effect.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Apprentice

@ Midgardsormr - you are correct about the slime, it was originally meant to glow (the XCF Gimp file still had some redundant hidden glow layers) however getting the glow to look right proved too difficult to pull off.

If anyone knows of any tutorials on general lighting or glows i would be interested to read them. I have no problem getting objects to glow, its the effects the glow has on other objects, walls, stairs that gives me a headache.

@ Everyone that suggested Maptool. Thanks! While this weekends game will be run in gametable, I think that after that the maps I'll have to make will cause problems if I use Gametable. It's not a problem with memory, but a problem of logistics and it looks like maptools would solve that.

here are updated maps for kr1 and kr3, kr5 to follow

Name:	kr1.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	5446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kr3.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	5447  

Guild Apprentice

Oh here is the last room (it connects to kr4 via a secret door). I would have posted it with the last two but GIMP seems to randomly reverse the bevel in the floor during editing and I only just noticed while posting so a quick fix later...

stuamn

p.s. I've said it before but - these maps are not 100% faithful to the ones in the DMG - I've added, shortened and otherwise moved some connecting corridors so i could use the maps in Gametable.

EDIT: oops I forgot to include the rock for the trap in kr4

Name:	kr5.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	541.3 KB 
ID:	5448  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stuamn; 07-24-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: forgot image

Oh here is the last room (it connects to kr4 via a secret door). I would have posted it with the last two but GIMP seems to randomly reverse the bevel in the floor during editing and I only just noticed while posting so a quick fix later...

stuamn

p.s. I've said it before but - these maps are not 100% faithful to the ones in the DMG - I've added, shortened and otherwise moved some connecting corridors so i could use the maps in Gametable.

EDIT: oops I forgot to include the rock for the trap in kr4
    Cool... would you mind either posting up your psd file or making a copy of this last room without the ice in it? I plan to run my players though this in a week or two and have swapped out the white dragon for green. Mainly, I needed a hook and since whites tend to be brutes, I switched to a green in this final room as a conniver.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Apprentice

not a problem, it looks slightly different as some of the noise layers had holes cut in them for the pool, so i had to redo them. The image is done in GIMP so it would be an XCF which the file manager doesn't allow (it's also 50MB due to some uneconomical practices, 33Mb Zipped).

also... why the heck did i name them kr1, kr2, kr3 etc. where did the r come from?? surely it should have been kb1......

stuamn

Name:	kr5alt.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	589.7 KB 
ID:	5459  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast