Thread: Map of the Twin Kingdoms of Aran and Ilan - Handdrawn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I'm pretty late on this one but the mountains looks way too aligned to make convincing ranges imo. Also the gap between the trunks and the forests itself is kinda odd.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Those are some mighty tasty mountains - looking good! Something about the layout of some of your foothills forest make the tongues extending into valleys look like they're curving down instead of running up a bit into the crevices. Does that make sense, what I'm seeing?
    Hi JB, You're absolutely right. The forests should curve up instead of down. I corrected that in my current update.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I agree with the lot. Those icons seem out of place in a map where individual 3d mountains are depicted. And the mountains look good so there's no dropping that for the sake of keeping the icons - so do the forests. Again, depicted in perspective.

Try shading the "urban" areas, maybe in brown/orangy/reddish..
    That's actually a good idea! I'll do either that, or use a sort of simplified 3D look of a tiny city. You know what I mean: a curved wall, with a tower and a few house roofs peeping up. Or heck, maybe I just keep the icons I have, paint them bordeaux or some other archaic colour and roughen them up a bit so they fit with the style.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I'm pretty late on this one but the mountains looks way too aligned to make convincing ranges imo. Also the gap between the trunks and the forests itself is kinda odd.
    Believe it or not, but I actually intended them to look like this. I tried to put some linearity in the mountain ranges in order to make them look more natural. I specifically did this in the northernmost reaches of the central spine. The southern tip of that same ridge sports a more random distribution of the mountains, and while I agree this is probably a nicer look, I'm not sure if it's a better or a worse depiction of a longitudinal range.

Maybe I'll have to redo the northern reaches after all. What do you guys think?

Oh, and here's my most recent update. Not much done, except for the correction of the eastern forest "tongues", and the addition of another hill ridge. I also changed the hill ridge north of that so the hills/small mountains are now closer together and more accurately look like hills instead of thinly spread fullscale mountains. I left the city icons out for now, I'm still thinking of a better representation.

### latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_overhaul7.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	61229

And as always, thanks for your comments, and keep them coming!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 02-10-2014 at 02:32 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!