Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser

Ships quite often had two bridges, didn't they? The main bridge and (I think) the other one was called the 'battle bridge' or similar if the main bridge was damaged. I think the Enterprise in Star Trek had an arrangement like this as the main saucer bit could detach from the rest.

From a practical point of view - I guess the main bridge would be within the cruiser and the battlebridge would serve as the main bridge for the saucer as well as the battlebridge for the cruiser (while connected).

So something like this? Sorry about the spindly legs but I just used parts of a desklamp I modelled a while back. The bottom of the main compartment could act as an elevator for access to the ship.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legs render.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	5653  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    So something like this? Sorry about the spindly legs but I just used parts of a desklamp I modelled a while back. The bottom of the main compartment could act as an elevator for access to the ship.
    Ya know with the legs like that It remind me of the robot in the movie "Space Camp".

As for the Saucer section, A little more UFO, a little less Umbrella.

I'm Liking the lander being the top of the sphere, but its maneuver drive just doesn't look right to me. Although it enters atmo Top down, the armor acts as the heat shield, it flips over and lands belly down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lander-side.gif 
Views:	83 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	5665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lander-bottom.gif 
Views:	84 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	5666  
    Last edited by someguy; 08-03-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I like your saucer much better...consider it done! If we're agreed I'll progress to the deckplans then?
    I believe we have the general layout isuess resolved. So, yes.

Even though I really have nothing to add, I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying this thread immensely. Keep up the great work.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Even though I really have nothing to add, I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying this thread immensely. Keep up the great work.
    Cool!

You play TRAVELLER?!

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    Cool!

You play TRAVELLER?!
    Alas, no but I always wanted to. I do have some Traveller books kicking around but never got a chance to play. The ship design also reminded me of the book, SPACE VIKING by H Beam Piper, so it gets extra credits of cool from me for that connection.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Alas, no but I always wanted to. I do have some Traveller books kicking around but never got a chance to play. The ship design also reminded me of the book, SPACE VIKING by H Beam Piper, so it gets extra credits of cool from me for that connection.
    Ya, I remember those ships, the Enterprise and Nemeses. I guess the "Pan-Galactic Spaceball of Death" goes back farther than even Battletech then.

"The Skylark of Space" had a big spacegoing golfball back in 1928. Successive books eventually made it to planetary-scale balls.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20869 if you've never read it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast