Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the deep

thanks for the comments! i'll put a black blur behind all the tunnels when i'm done with layout. before then, i'd like to add a few smaller towns, ten more points of interest, and extend the network of connecting tunnels. the blue lines are rivers, i haven't decided if any will be named specifically.

there are two islands of rock in the cauldron. the smaller one near new mechanus i've already assigned as a port for airships, connected to the town by a long iron bridge suspended from the ceiling by chains. the larger one? dunno. i don't think it would be inhabited, but maybe a column of rock with carved facades and abandoned halls. something like Gar Morra from the D&D 4e Underdark book, which i never got to use in my 4e campaigns.
    >>< drow ><<

Wip

added ten holds (small defensive settlements, typically 50-200 people).
    the river between the Falls and Upper Sea is now named by the hold of Astaria.

i also moved New Mechanus into a slightly better position relative to its airship port,
    and threw a second bridge across the spur of the Cauldron to the north of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_deep-05.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	62981

the reason nobody takes the more direct route from Last Hope to New Mechanus
    is the lair of Nameshba, an ancient blue dragon.
    Last edited by drow; 04-05-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    >>< drow ><<

Wip

done with my full list of small holds and points of interest,
    so everything's gotten a bit of black outline now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_deep-06.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	62987
    >>< drow ><<

The outlines make everything pop out more to the eye. Looks really great.

Keep 'em coming!
    -GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

As GP says the outlining looks good. If you're looking to fancy it up a bit I have two suggestions. The first is addind a border, you can probably find some adequately evil looking elements for a fairly stand out one. Second is adding some effects to your lava and water such as a slight red outer glow to the lava, or darkening the center of your water to indicate depth. This maps turning out more interesting with every update.

i'm not a big fan of borders on maps most of the time, and didn't leave myself room for one.
    i'll play around with the water textures some to better hint depth and flow this week, probably.
    thanks!
    >>< drow ><<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12