View Poll Results: How do you feel about a Pangea Ultima mapping challenge?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds neat! I'm for it.

3 60.00%
  • Sounds lame. Forget it.

2 40.00%
  • You moron, this has been done already!

0 0%

Thread: Pangea Ultime, 250 million AD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I hear you. No offense taken. But I would point out that we are talking far enough in the future that this is essentially de-novo worldbuilding. Mountains would be totally different, etc. There are even multiple disagreements on what this might look like- in particular, whether the Americas will head east to smack into EurAfrica or head west to smack into Asia, as well as just what the Antarctic plate will do.

So, you'd really just need to figure out the shape of the continent, which plates make it up, and go wild. You'd likely NOT be able to pick the modern continents out of it- sea level will be different (especially if the Antarctic ice sheets have melted), plates would have subducted, new sedimentary layers would have formed, etc. Apparently, for odd reasons the Earth's inner temperature would rise, leading to extensive volcanism. Hell, throw an asteroid impact in there if you like. We're due for an extinction event, anyway. Or, include some posthuman mega-engineering (which might be indistinguishable from high fantasy)...

Really, when I thought of it, this idea got me fired up at the prospect of what you gurus could do with it. (Lord knows, I'm struggling just to make my first map.)

See also: here, for yet another take on what the continent might look like. Now that I'm looking I keep finding stuff about this- but no maps that are up to the standards of this forum, frankly..
    Last edited by acrosome; 05-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.