Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: [Award Winner] Battlemaps in Photoshop

Thanks alot for the tutorial! I do not have access to photoshop so I did it with krita instead, and it was quite a challenge since I have only basic experience with graphic software. From what I saw, there are some important differences btw the photoshop way of doing things and krita ways, but it forced me to experiment with krita and it was a good learning opportunity. So, here is the humble result I got. It still look very rough compared to some others I have seen in this thread, but I think it's a good first try for me
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorial.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	9.00 MB 
ID:	113066

I still need to figure out how to do the shadowing part of the cliff in krita. And I totally cheated on the trees and bushes and used tiles for those
    Last edited by kinwolf; 02-03-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Looks great! Experimenting and learning is much more important than following step by step so you got the most important part of it. Looks like a great start to making some fun battle maps for your games.

Fantastic tutorial! I have a degree in Video Game Art and Animation but there were a few tips and tricks I picked up that really helped with designing maps. Hopefully I can post a picture of my map I designed soon but it's part of an upcoming Kickstarter, so I have to keep it under wraps.

However, I am running into one major hurdle: What is everyone using to create overhead views of their trees and plants? This is proving to be extremely difficult to create something that looks realistic.

From looking at previous posts, @Kinwolf did a really great job, so I'd love to hear how you made your trees and bushes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Fantastic Tutorial!

Thank you so much for this information! Figured I'd share my first little project!

Name:	farm_map_no_barrier.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.18 MB 
ID:	115065

Name:	farm_map_barrier.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	6.79 MB 
ID:	115066

@Sitrane: lots of folks are using free items from the web. There is also a new tree rendering option within Photoshop that with some creative cutting and pasting can make a half descent top down tree I hear tell.

@Lichlark: Looks great, I'm not in your game and I'm already dreading that place.

Wip First WIP D&D Battle Maps!

Afternoon all!

Long time lurker, first time post. I wanted to share my first attempt at madcowchef's Award Winning Tutorial "Battlemaps in Photoshop". It DEFINITELY needs some work and further adjustment but I am actually somewhat happy with the results so far!.

I am not happy with the wall results; but there are going to the first update I try and make. *I had to compress the images a lot to get them to post. I hope they are clear enough!*

Name:	BattleMaps_attempt1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	115178

Name:	BattleMaps_attempt2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	115179
    Last edited by CredePendrel; 04-30-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Default Water Effects

Here is my attempt at the water effects!! Coming along nicely

Name:	BattleMap_forestStream smaller.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	115183

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    @Sitrane: lots of folks are using free items from the web. There is also a new tree rendering option within Photoshop that with some creative cutting and pasting can make a half descent top down tree I hear tell.

@Lichlark: Looks great, I'm not in your game and I'm already dreading that place.
    @madcowchef That tree tip is amazing! I use Photoshop DAILY in my job and I had no idea that was there. I will definitely be playing around with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CredePendrel View Post
    Here is my attempt at the water effects!! Coming along nicely

Name:	BattleMap_forestStream smaller.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	115183
    How did you do your river banks? The way the coast transitions is so clean!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789