Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Subterrainian Map Prettier Script

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I pulled out the online download from isomage as it would sometimes cause gimp to hang.
    That's probably a good idea anyway since there's a separate GIMP plugin for it -- if they want the caves they can use that, and then apply your plugin to it.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Once again, thanks for the script as it has made my life a lot easier. Right now I am DMing a game and it has allowed me to quickly make reasonably nice looking maps which I can print out at full size on a 34x22" plotter. I don't expect to use any of my maps more than one time, so being able to churn them out is key, and I am very thankful for that. Below are a couple examples in case anyone would like to use them. I am also fairly inept with image editing programs so they are more than a little rough around the edges, but am improving.

Anyway, my process is to sketch a map out on graph paper, do the lines with a permanent marker, scan the drawing, cut out the black lines and paste them into a new image to eliminate the graph paper grid, adjust the color levels so that the black is truly black, fill in the walls, and finally use the script to convert it into a nicer looking map.

Thanks again Rob!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooms1final.gif 
Views:	290 
Size:	677.6 KB 
ID:	12578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooms2final.gif 
Views:	237 
Size:	706.9 KB 
ID:	12579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooms3final.gif 
Views:	170 
Size:	630.3 KB 
ID:	12580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooms4final.gif 
Views:	192 
Size:	729.4 KB 
ID:	12581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavernsbw.gif 
Views:	218 
Size:	733.1 KB 
ID:	12582  

Based on a brilliant suggestion in this thread made by me, I have updated the script to allow selecting a channel to define the distortion range.

Here is a sample, showing the template, the selection I made (and saved), and the result. If you look at the channel dialog, you can see the saved selection:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grab1.jpg 
Views:	1507 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	14207

Of course, in batch mode, this option is disabled.

Latest version is attached.

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Based on a brilliant suggestion in this thread made by me, I have updated the script to allow selecting a channel to define the distortion range.

Here is a sample, showing the template, the selection I made (and saved), and the result. If you look at the channel dialog, you can see the saved selection:

Name:	grab1.jpg 
Views:	1507 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	14207

Of course, in batch mode, this option is disabled.

Latest version is attached.

-Rob A>
    That's actually brilliant(I have to admit I did not understand what you were getting at in the other thread). This is a way to make a nice transition from a finished dungeon section into something more like a tunnel in the processed of being cut out... or even one where the wall has collapsed some.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Magnificent. Saves a lot of time!

Name:	dungeontest.png 
Views:	381 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	16296  

Quote Originally Posted by agroschim View Post
    Magnificent. Saves a lot of time!
    Glad you like.

If you want to break up the background texture even more, try my Tile Shuffle script (link in the sig).

I selected a bit of your floor and ran the script on it:

Name:	ts.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	16301

-Rob A>

Here's the original, i had to scale it down for obvious reasons:

http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id...bd480621160b0e

So here's goofing around I did with this script in an attempt for an outdoor map... I think the shrubbery/undergrowth needs a little work but I was wondering what people thought of it... And I wanted to thank RobA for the script...

Name:	scriptplay.png 
Views:	336 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	18292  
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It certainly has a lot of potential. I'm assuming it generates random shapes that you can use as the forest. The pattern is tiling but what's important is the shape gen thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's actually just a bit to render solid noise at the beginning, then crank the contrast all the way up, and run a displace on it... then run robA's script with a grass pattern and forrest pattern of preference (I forgot to make the forrest pattern seamless in the sample)

I thought if a) I could get a better forrest pattern squared away, and b) people liked what they saw... I'd write a mini tut...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast