Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Subterrainian Map Prettier Script

Info Now with hexes!

It has been a while since I posted an update, but thanks to a request by Em on my blog, the script now has an option to create hex grids (horizontal or vertical).... if you also have my hex grid script loaded.

If you don't have the script, and select either hex from the menu, it will pop a little error dialog pointing you to the download location at the gimp plugin registry for the hex grid script, then quit.

I don't often use hex grids, but here is hoping it might be of use!

Oh yeah, the grid size measurement will be flat to flat, and it sets the offset so there is a full hex in the upper left hand corner.

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rob, is there any chance of adding a few more features to your script? I am working on making up some dungeon tiles for use with maptool. Basically, several tiles in various sizes divisible by 100 px and with a transparent floor like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InnerCorner3.png 
Views:	522 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	19125

In my case, I don't have a need for the Grid since the VTT will supply that for me. Since these tiles snap to a VTT grid nicely and my pattern is 100px it should tile fairly well. This is one of the reasons for my question a few days ago about the best way to make a path/line that has some style of irregular stroke to it (thanks for the link to you script!) but always originates from a GIMP Grid intersection(so that each tile can line up with the others.)

Things I would like to see:
    • Option to not build grid (I know you need the value for calculations though). I assume this would be pretty darn easy.
    • Option for transparent floor(I know this will require a change to the shadow generation method since you use multiply there)
    • Optional: if you would add an option to have the wall area only visible for a small distance with a central color as in my example...This would be "gravy"

Anyway, these are just some things that would greatly speed up my generation of the tiles, but I am cool doing it manually if you can't make any of the above changes. My goal is to create a large number of inner/outer corners in various sizes, walls of differing lengths, passages, columns, and pre-built caverns for easy snap to grid use.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    It has been a while since I posted an update, but thanks to a request by Em on my blog, the script now has an option to create hex grids (horizontal or vertical).... if you also have my hex grid script loaded.
    Thank you very much Rob for your quick response to my little suggestion! Your script is great, and this is another great enhancement to it

I made a quick little VTT map (45px = 1 yard hex) exploiting the new addition, converting one of the maps from the Scales of War adventure path to hexes, and having some fun with textures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garden of Shadows.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	441.1 KB 
ID:	19129  

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Rob, is there any chance of adding a few more features to your script? I am working on making up some dungeon tiles for use with maptool. Basically, several tiles in various sizes divisible by 100 px and with a transparent floor like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InnerCorner3.png 
Views:	522 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	19125

In my case, I don't have a need for the Grid since the VTT will supply that for me. Since these tiles snap to a VTT grid nicely and my pattern is 100px it should tile fairly well. This is one of the reasons for my question a few days ago about the best way to make a path/line that has some style of irregular stroke to it (thanks for the link to you script!) but always originates from a GIMP Grid intersection(so that each tile can line up with the others.)

Things I would like to see:
    • Option to not build grid (I know you need the value for calculations though). I assume this would be pretty darn easy.
    • Option for transparent floor(I know this will require a change to the shadow generation method since you use multiply there)
    • Optional: if you would add an option to have the wall area only visible for a small distance with a central color as in my example...This would be "gravy"

Anyway, these are just some things that would greatly speed up my generation of the tiles, but I am cool doing it manually if you can't make any of the above changes. My goal is to create a large number of inner/outer corners in various sizes, walls of differing lengths, passages, columns, and pre-built caverns for easy snap to grid use.
    When do you need it by?

I can simply (now) add a fourth grid option (none).

I can add the fade out in the wall...should it be to black or to transparent?

And thinking that I have a batch mode......I could enable the distortion mask feature and you could specify a mask that will distort the middle, but fade out at the edges so they would snap to grid. You could then create a bunch of B&W template files and run the batch mode on them to generate all the tiles! (Like I did for my challenge entry that I wrote the script for initially).

-Rob A>

When do you need it by?

I can simply (now) add a fourth grid option (none).

I can add the fade out in the wall...should it be to black or to transparent?

And thinking that I have a batch mode......I could enable the distortion mask feature and you could specify a mask that will distort the middle, but fade out at the edges so they would snap to grid. You could then create a bunch of B&W template files and run the batch mode on them to generate all the tiles! (Like I did for my challenge entry that I wrote the script for initially).

-Rob A>
    I am in no real hurry, so anytime you get to it would be fine for me. Here is the workflow I have been using:

1. Create b/w base image by creating a path, stroking, fuzzy select, fill black, invert selection, fill white.
    2. Run this script
    3. Remove two grid layers, floor, floor noise, wall noise, wall shadows(since it's b/w set to multiple.
    4. On the wall layer, Mask to selection
    5. New layer (filled with black), layer mask from selection (expanded 5px or so), unselect, G Blur layer mask 25 px or so...
    6. Repeat previous but shrink selection instead.

At the end, I have 4 layers, 2 created via script, 2 created manually by me. bevel of wall (script), wall itself(script), floor shadows(manual), wall inner shadow(manual).

Yea, I had thought about the whole batch thing and was planning on trying to take advantage of that anyway.

One other option might be to have NO floor. I simulated this by doing mask to selection on the wall, selecting the floor shadow layer mask and filling with black the selection(so you get a thin ribbon of white on the layer mask, hard on one side, blurred on the other for the shadow). Then on the wall layer, delete the pattern. This gives the tiles the option of using the same base texture above and below as there is now no color at all in the output image. In batch mode, all of the above options would allow a huge quantity of tiles to be created in a multitude of wall textures or even no texture at all...

Anyway, as I said.. I am in no real hurry, so whenever. I want to thank you immensely as this is a hugely useful script as is that saves tons of time!
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

One more update.

; 1.5 - added grid option "none".
    ; - bug fix for greyscale input images
    ; - changed wall shadows to be a transparent layer rather than a multiplied layer
    ; - added floor option - no floor (transparent)

In the attached zip.

The only thing I haven't worked out is the faded wall...

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

If you have the wall as a black and white layer then cant you mega blur it (may need a resize to say to 25% just to keep the speed up ) and then clamp everything not quite white to black then blur heavily again and thats your mask for whats inside the wall.

One more update.

; 1.5 - added grid option "none".
    ; - bug fix for greyscale input images
    ; - changed wall shadows to be a transparent layer rather than a multiplied layer
    ; - added floor option - no floor (transparent)

In the attached zip.

The only thing I haven't worked out is the faded wall...

-Rob A>
    Hey rob, any chance you could also make the "wall" transparent as well when you get around to making the faded wall?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Hey rob, any chance you could also make the "wall" transparent as well when you get around to making the faded wall?
    Thanks for the kick.

Here is the script updated with a "Fade Wall to Black" option. (located after the wall stylings) It is just drawing a fade layer on top (like the manual process).

I could make everything transparent below that by adding it to all the masks, if that would work?

BTW, the size of the fade is proportionate to the grid size (as is the inner shadow) so that can control the fade amount, especially if you are not drawing a grid (the value is still used).

-Rob A>

Thanks for the update Rob, the Fade feature is really neat. Inverting the fade layer to white makes for a great ink-saver feature as well for printed maps!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast