Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

You're probably right about the cold currents. In the most recent version the "rainy area" reaches approximately 15 S latitude, which, if you look at Africa, is about where the Namib desert ends. All in all, I envision southwestern Eocidar as more or less comparable with Western Africa in terms of climate (in other words, not a desert, but not very rainy either for the most part). Considering that the African monsoon reaches all the way to the Sahel during the rainy season, I think the recent version is reasonable, with possibly the area west of Eocidar's "inner sea" a bit too wet in january, but it's hard to judge whether the precipitations are too high without seeing the climates themselves, since the equatorial latitudes mean a lot of evaporation even the areas with light rain are probably going to end up with a dry climate type.

Also, the Atlas mountains do receive rain during winter if I'm not mistaken? At least historically Northern Africa was "the bread basket" of the Roman Empire so it's not really desert (if not very rainy, necessarily). All in all, I think it's rare to find mountains with a true desert climate, except in the heart of the Sahara perhaps. So, I think a modest degree of rain along the mountain ranges during the "wet season" is justified. Although again, a bit hard to judge based on just the precipitation maps, I may have exaggerated the effect or made the rainy area too large.
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-29-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Western Africa ? which country exactly? Lagos got a very season precipitation pattern, dry winter wet summer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

The bread basket of the Empire was Egypt if I remember correctly, and although it is one of the most fertile land is the world, it barely rains.

It would make sense to have dry mountains if the surrounding air is also dry, the water needs to come from somewhere.
    I edited the precipitation layer to include the orographic lift with the westerns mid latitudes drier, like I mentioned in the other post.

here are the results

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yours.png 
Views:	325 
Size:	593.8 KB 
ID:	79641

Name:	mine.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	590.8 KB 
ID:	79642

Egypt was another breadbasket, but Northern Algeria (to an extent) and especially Tunisia were also very productive (the former Carthaginian heartlands).

Anyway looking at the climate maps, I think the temperatures are probably fine now. Af climate looks overall a bit too widespread compared to Earth. That, and deserts are overall too widespread compared to the steppes. Also, you're right that southwestern Eocidar could be maybe a bit drier at places, though I think your version is a bit exaggerated since it's essentially nothing but desert (and the occasional tundra) almost all the way to the Equator. Also, the southeastern continent (Anapar) is too dry in both our maps, the deserts there should be largely confined to the interior since most of the continent isn't really in desert latitudes. I think the peninsula of Akanrias (the large southern peninsula in southern Eocidar) should be "somewhere in the middle", it's too dry in my version and too wet in yours. There also seems to be a few weird high-latitude steppes in my version that should really be D climates (guess I need to increase precipitation there further).

That said, I'm pretty satisfied how most of the map turned out. I think it will maybe take one round of further fine-tuning the precipitations and then the climate map should be "good enough" that it can be finished with some manual adjustments here and there. Btw, do you think Dc is a bit too narrow strip between the tundra and Db climates? It seems slightly thicker on Earth, although maybe it's just the differences in latitude.

By the reference to Western Africa I mean the area in general, there's a lot more BSh, Cwa and Aw than there are BWh, Am or Af. Although in my case the interior of the "supercontinent" will be inevitably largely desert, I think the intermediate steppe climates still cover way too little area compared to similarly dry areas on Earth.

In any case, my thanks for running the script, it spares me a lot of work not having to do all that manually!

EDIT:
    I also think that the interior of the northernmost non-polar continent (called Neraduhr) should probably be "winter dry" because of the presence of vast glaciers to the north. It looks like some Dwb turned up in my map, which is good, but I still need to adjust the precipitations so the Dc climates in the interior are Dwc rather than Dfc. Do you think I'm right about this, or should it just be Df climate?

EDIT2:
    Actually, I guess I do need the touch the temperature maps somewhat, since Cfc covers rather large areas in the northern half of the map (when they should be either Dfb or Cfb). Another question, do you think the island chain south of Neraduhr (the northernmost non-polar continent) should be Cfc, as it is now?

EDIT3:
    Ok, here are the updated versions. I made the winters slightly colder in general (especially in the north, where I feel the Arctic glaciers would lead to more extreme winters), to make continental climates a bit more widespread. In places, I also ramped up the summer temperature a tier in order to eliminate Cfc climates (although I left some islands and mountains as Cfc).

In terms of precipitation, in general I tried to make steppe climates more widespread, and also to make the tropics less of "rainforest or desert". Southwestern Eocidar should be a bit drier now, with the desert more widespread, while the large equatorial area on the eastern side of the supercontinent (called Magatel) should have more BS and Aw (I hope). But we'll see how the results turn out. I think this will be the last "run of the script" unless there are some glaring problems, and the climate map can be finished with manual adjustments from here on out. The relevant maps are in the attachments.

Once again, many thanks for running the scipts for me (as well as otherwise spending a lot of time on improving my world)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jan precipitations.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	79672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jan temp.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	79667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jul temp.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	79668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jul precipitations.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	569.2 KB 
ID:	79673  
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-30-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Azelor, one question. When saving the monsoon climates, why do you choose only those two? wouldn't climates with more extreme variations also be considered monsoon?

EDIT: Would you also be interested in someone turning this into a PDF? I'm a graphic designer by trade and would be more than willing to turn this into a properly designed document (it's kind of hard to navigate it on the forum)
    Last edited by mbartelsm; 01-30-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Some steppes needs to be added manually between the humid climates and the deserts. A large band when it's a plain and a narrow one if there is an elevation. In some places, it makes the whole deserts dissapear.

The tundra at the equator is not wrong if you look at the temperature maps, which are both between 0 and 10. This is something to be expected at this altitude http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/...al_2006_A4.pdf

Anapar, it make sense if there is really a high pressure center right next to it, but I'm not entirely sure of that.

Akanrias: my version but a bit drier sounds ok.

Dc: I think it's because you lack landmasses in the appropriate latitudes. In some places, the Db would turn Dc if it was not tempered by the ocean.

Dwc, increasing the precipitations in summer should be enough (summer 4, winter no color). Decreasing it further in winter, I'm not sure it's a good idea.
    Btw, the w climates require to have their driest mouth to receive less than 10% of the wettest month. In summer, you would need one the two wettest category and in winter, you need one of the tree driest. So you need both extremes.

Of the Cc, only Cwc is included (because it's alwals located at higher altitudes, so it's rather easy to place).
    Csc barely even exist in the real world.
    Cfc is not on the map. Because the differnece between Cb And Cc is the number of months with a certain temperature and we don't know the actual temp since we are using average. Still, there is an unknown color it the north and I will investigate... I could be Cfc.

The north is mostly covered by tundra, Dfc and Dfb. And some Dfa, which is nice.

Cfc: I could be wrong, but I think the climate that shows up in the north is actually Cfc. At least I don't see what else it could be. Anyway, for clarity I marked the climates on your version of the map:

Name:	Azelor_climates.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	427.7 KB 
ID:	79712

Anapar: I think the high pressure center probably is located west of the continent only during southern winter (July), and it would retreat into the channel between Akanrias and Nomune during the southern summer (January). Of course, there's always some guesswork involved, but I think this model is reasonable. That said, the recent versions aren't too far off, it just needs the BS areas added in.

Yes it make sense. But then, most of this Cfc is actually Cfb.

And I have to admit that I am surprised by the dryness of some areas: the inland sea and the western northern continent (on the eastern side).

The inland sea: these are mountains which mean more precipitation and lower temperatures. Yet, it is really dry.

The other continent, even if most of it turns into a steppe, I would have expected that it would be more humid.

anyway, the results: I added the steppes this time.

Name:	climates copie.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	561.3 KB 
ID:	79722
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-31-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

I spotted a couple of bugs (or miss-uses) of the script. The first is that during the "climate 1" script it tries to select a couple of copied layers, the thing is that you Ps seems to be in french so the layers are named with the word "copie" while my Ps generates them with the word "copy".

The other problem is that the script doesn't seem to be selecting my level 1 precipitations properly, I tried leaving them transparent and with pure black, it doesn't work. In the end those areas are just left without processing and end up being transparent (no climates outputted)

I fixed the script and it should fix both problems. I was aware of the language issue and I think that naming a layer as soon as it is duplicated should solver the problem. If not well yes, copie is copy, just select it and continue the script. It's because I managed to record the script without noticing that this layer was not properly named.

And sure, you could do a .pdf once it's finished, which should be soon. I edited the first message to include links to all the steps.

Now on the biomes and the equivalent climates: a simplified version of this http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...1&d=1423197614
    Right now, there are 13 different biomes but I feel that some of redundant.

Alpine is a meta climate and can include all of them. It's used for practical reason since it's not possible to indicate all the climates in some mountainous areas.

Ice: EF
    Tundra: ET
    Boreal forest (mostly pine trees) : Dd, Dc
    Temperate: Cfb, Cfc, Dwa, Dfa, Dfb, Dwb, Cwc?
    Subtropical forest: Cfa, Cwa, Cwb (have a winter but temperature usually stick above 0)
    Mediterranean: Csa, Csb, Csc?, Dsa, Dsb (dry summer)
    Tropical rainforest: Af, Am (tropical have a small temperature variation over the year)
    Tropical dry forest: As, Aw

Savanna: hot steppes (BSh) (the dry season is normally in winter but I'm not sure if it's really different form the Mediterranean biome, both should have a forest with open canopies)
    Grassland: BSk and BSh as a transition between the Savanna and the desert climate.
    Scrubland: a desert with some vegetation like cacti.

Desert: a desert devoid of vegetation.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-01-2016 at 12:31 AM.

There's a slight typo in the biome reference file, you refer to "Af" climate in Tropical dry forest and Monsoonal forest sections, I assume the reference should be Aw?

Btw, when you ran the script last time, did you use the updated temperature maps? Because it looks like Cfc still shows up, and the northern climates seem largely unchanged in general. And I'm pretty sure I "rigged" the temperature maps in such a way that the Cfc climates should have disappeared (the tundra border should be slightly different too).

In any case, if you don't mind running the script another time, I suppose it might be worth modifying the precipitation maps a bit further to see if I can make those Aw climates turn up. I guess there still needs to be more contrast between July and January precipitations. Also, I guess the Neraduhrian summer rains need to be ramped up in order for Dwc to appear.

Actually, now that I compare the precipitation maps, it appears that "Winter 1 (transparent) + Summer 3" combo results in Dwb climate, but "Winter 0 (pink) + Summer 3" combo means Cfc instead of Cwc, even though the contrast is higher in the latter case! Looking at the precipitation maps, I can see why you did this (so Earth's climates turn up more accurately, since even Eastern Siberia is Dfc), but it's still a bit weird (to my logic, anyway).

Edit: Ok, here are the precipitation maps. Hopefully, this time they're truly "final"! The main difference is that the tropical regions now have a much more pronounced dry season than previously, so Af should be confined to a more realistic area. Also, remember to use the updated temperature maps (in post #113).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jan precipitations.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	79758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jul precipitations.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	550.1 KB 
ID:	79759  
    Last edited by Charerg; 02-01-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast