Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Adding black lines to separate the categories is not a good idea. Unless I make the map larger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line test 1.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	103798

Or having a line for every 5 categories. I'm not convinced.

Name:	line test.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	103799
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-26-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Those maps are really good! Personally I planned to cap the precipitation at something like 250 mm (also, I use the 2,5m resolution datasets). Although I think using 10 mm intervals past 20 mm is probably sufficient. But I have to say that the detail in the 30sec is pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.

As a minor update, I made a "version 2" of the script which makes the BS areas in warm tropical and subtropical regions a bit more extensive. Works pretty well for Australia, India and the Kalahari region, perhaps not so well in other areas. It's a relatively minor change, but probably does make the generated climates a bit closer to reality, here's the output:

Name:	ZonesOut_ver2.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	824.1 KB 
ID:	103791

I also considered reducing the area covered by w climates, but overall decided against it because shuffling one "winter dry" category over to f (humid) would create bad transitions in several places. For a really satisfactory solution, even more precipitation categories would need to be used, but I think the present version is a decent compromise even if it does make "winter dry" a bit too widespread.

I also realised I forgot to include the colour key for the climates in my previous post, here it is (the script generates the climates in the "max contrast colour scheme"):

Name:	ClimateK.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	103792

The updated version of the script can be found in the attachments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-26-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gridello_Aspart View Post
    i need help that tutorial make me so confuse i cant figure out where its dry or where its not pls HELP i m not even sure i did other parts right i really need help i read other tutorial i understand it well but it always crated some blanks so i tried that one but it makes me confuse
    Just bumping this up since it showed up only now (your first posts need to be approved by a community leader before showing up on the forums). See the original post for the maps.

At first glance I admit I'm totally confused myself . Maybe start a bit slower and ask for feedback step-by-step? That way you usually end up with more feedback. Like start with the ocean currents for example. It might also be an idea to start a separate thread for your world, since I'm not sure how actively people check the tutorial thread.
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-26-2018 at 06:58 AM.

I fixed the attachments.
    Using the 2.5 m resolution map instead is easy, since I keep the same colour scheme, I just need to change the base map.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Just bumping this up since it showed up only now (your first posts need to be approved by a community leader before showing up on the forums). See the original post for the maps.

At first glance I admit I'm totally confused myself . Maybe start a bit slower and ask for feedback step-by-step? That way you usually end up with more feedback. Like start with the ocean currents for example. It might also be an idea to start a separate thread for your world, since I'm not sure how actively people check the tutorial thread.

Woa, this just appeared out of nowhere.
    I'd also recommend opening a new thread to avoid confusion.

New version. 2,5 minutes resolution.

It uses 5 ml categories until 200ml and then 10ml categories until 400+ ml where the colour is peach. The ^previous version used 20 ml increases after 200.

Name:	2m5 new.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	103814

I can't find how to crop the map properly. The map should be 8640 x 4320 but I have no idea how to crop it properly, how to get rid of the white border before exporting the image in a png.
    The only solution I've found was to manually find the right scaling but there must be something better.

It's not that a big problem but the map look distorted a little and it would look better without these distortions.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-26-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    New version. 2,5 minutes resolution.

It uses 5 ml categories until 200ml and then 10ml categories until 400+ ml where the colour is peach. The ^previous version used 20 ml increases after 200.

Name:	2m5 new.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	103814

I can't find how to crop the map properly. The map should be 8640 x 4320 but I have no idea how to crop it properly, how to get rid of the white border before exporting the image in a png.
    The only solution I've found was to manually find the right scaling but there must be something better.

It's not that a big problem but the map look distorted a little and it would look better without these distortions.
    I personally crop them by having the ETOPO1 elevation data in the same file, then I export the elevation map in the same size as the precipitation/temp data. Since the elevation data has values for seafloor, you can see where the map ends, so to speak, and crop out the frames. Though I'd guess there should be some method in Qgis as well, but since I'm a total Qgis noob, I have no idea what that might be.
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-26-2018 at 12:02 PM.

It helps a little but you still have the same problem of having to zoom/change the scale carefully.
    It's odd that the program use a print screen instated of the actual map.

On another note, I intend to rework the Excel spreadsheet to automate it.
    I manage to make an RGB to hexadecimal converter. I'm not sure I had to make a converter but with it, I can generate a colour table for the climates.

It works!

I did not know that but hexadecimal colours have one different value for each of the red, green and blue. So it's super easy to make additions.
    I did this using the same colours from the tutorial.
    The green chosen in this example is the green from the top left, the wettest. The colours seems to match with the colour key.
    I'm using a macro that I've found to fill the cells with the hexadecimal code from the cells.
    Using hexadecimal seems more complicated that using RGB, but with RGB I would need three different tables, one for each colour. With hexa, I just need one.

Name:	sample.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	103821

Ok that could be useful but it's just a distraction.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-26-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Ok so the spreadsheet looks like this.

I start with the temperature combinations.

Name:	sheet1.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	103823

I have the min/max for each but only the average is relevant actually.
    The on the right, I find the average annual temperature. It is an average of the maximum and minimum temperature.
    My numbers are slightly different because I did not round them up this time. I guess I must have done that to save time. This time I can be more precise since Excel is going to calculate it.

Aridity index.

Name:	sheet2.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	103824

The grey area represent redundant combinations. They are also present on the two other graph but I haven't greyed them.
    I usually left them there, maybe to avoid having holes in the graph.

It is explained if the cells but these graph tells us what is the minimum threshold required to have a wet climate, steppe or desert.
    Depending when the dry season is, or if there is even one to begin with, the formula for aridity is slightly different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aridity_index

Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast