Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

I could definitely see those points as valid. I might go back and reduce the height on some of the mountains. For informative purposes, I've added the plate tectonics, the ocean currents, and the wind patterns

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceirilia_oc.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	6.28 MB 
ID:	106227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceirilia_ptt.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	6.91 MB 
ID:	106228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceirilia_wm.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	7.85 MB 
ID:	106229

Hi!
    I decided to give this tutorial a try. So far I have got oceanic currents, january and july wind maps, but before I go any further I just want to make sure that I got this right:

Name:	twierdza currents.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	107668

Name:	january winds.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	107669

Name:	july winds.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	107667
    I think I messed up the wind maps somewhere but can't tell where :/
    (Also I am sorry for my bad english)

Overall looks really good. I don't see anything too far off the mark, and the elevations are very detailed.

As a minor nitpick, you forgot one of the oceanic high pressure centres in the July map, the one located here:

Name:	Missing high pressure center.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	107686

Remember that each time you have a "full loop" of oceanic currents, there will be a corresponding pressure centre.
    Last edited by Charerg; 06-22-2018 at 03:10 AM.

Ok, I added this high pressure center as you suggested:

Name:	july winds.jpg 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	107725
    I also made some minor changes to the both wind maps to (hopefully) make them a bit more realistic:

Name:	january winds.jpg 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	107726
    I guess it is time for influence maps?

This is my best try at influence maps. I have to say that after three attempts I got pretty fed up with it, because this step turned out to be the hardest so far for me. I get the principle but judging where certain influence zone should end can sometimes be tricky especialy if you can't find any references appropriate for some areas

Name:	january influence.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	107922 (january influence)

Name:	july influence.jpg 
ID:	107923 (july influence)

Quote Originally Posted by NadirtheFox View Post
    This is my best try at influence maps. I have to say that after three attempts I got pretty fed up with it, because this step turned out to be the hardest so far for me. I get the principle but judging where certain influence zone should end can sometimes be tricky especialy if you can't find any references appropriate for some areas

Name:	january influence.jpg 
Views:	53 
ID:	107922 (january influence)

Name:	july influence.jpg 
ID:	107923 (july influence)
    The influence maps are just a useful aid that will help you weight the various influences affecting an area. Remember that their only purpose is to help you in creating the temperature maps, that's all they will be used for. So don't worry too much about them, just go with your best guess.

The influence maps are just a useful aid that will help you weight the various influences affecting an area. Remember that their only purpose is to help you in creating the temperature maps, that's all they will be used for. So don't worry too much about them, just go with your best guess.
    Good to know, Charerg XD I will keep that in mind next time. (But yeah - it turned out to not be such a big deal after all...)
    And the temperature maps are now done:

Name:	january temperatures help.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	108012 january

Name:	july temperatures.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	108013 july
    I highlightet area that I'm concerned about the most. Is this sort of separated cold region even possible? It looks odd but kinda makes sense if you consider wind patterns of this region :/
    Aside from that I hope I haven't messed up the rest too much.

The cold region does indeed look "out of place". What is the idea behind it, shouldn't that area be under hot current (or at least maritime) influence, like Europe?

Though I guess the areas north of that major mountain range would be fairly arctic.

The cold area is under continental influence (there is high pressure centre in the winter) while the region north of that mountain range is influenced by winds blowing from the sea (I treated it as mild maritime influence but maybe it should be cold?) Then again, it is possible that I overestimated the impact that these influences have on local temperatures...

Quote Originally Posted by NadirtheFox View Post
    The cold area is under continental influence (there is high pressure centre in the winter) while the region north of that mountain range is influenced by winds blowing from the sea (I treated it as mild maritime influence but maybe it should be cold?) Then again, it is possible that I overestimated the impact that these influences have on local temperatures...
    I think it's unlikely that the area to the south of those moutains would develop a Siberian High-style high pressure center. It sounds a lot more plausible to me that the moutains would basically form a barrier between arctic and temperate air masses, and the areas to the south of the mountains should have a relatively temperate winter like Europe. At any rate the areas to the north should be colder than adjacent areas to to the south (assuming similar elevation).
    Last edited by Charerg; 06-27-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast