Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Ok, I modified the area a little (temperatures are now a bit less extreme)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	january temperatures corrected.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	508.3 KB 
ID:	108063
    I am still hesitant when it comes to lowering the temperatures north of this mountain range - the winds should be blowing from the sea after all. (I'm keeping the winter high because the region feels wrong without it) And while we're at it: if the winds are blowing from land through that southern sea will they bring rainfall to the equatorial contnent? The closest comparison is probably the red sea, so the answer would be "no", but it isn't perfect match (I kinda need it to rain there)

Quote Originally Posted by NadirtheFox View Post
    Ok, I modified the area a little (temperatures are now a bit less extreme)

I am still hesitant when it comes to lowering the temperatures north of this mountain range - the winds should be blowing from the sea after all. (I'm keeping the winter high because the region feels wrong without it) And while we're at it: if the winds are blowing from land through that southern sea will they bring rainfall to the equatorial contnent? The closest comparison is probably the red sea, so the answer would be "no", but it isn't perfect match (I kinda need it to rain there)
    Even if the wind does blow from the sea, those are arctic waters that could even be frozen for the most part, since the area isn't affected by a hot current in your currents map. That said, the current version is fairly good, although I'd suggest ramping up the temperatures of the islands and the coast along the southwestern margin, at least below the 60° latitude line, since those areas actually are affected by a warm current (like the coasts of Norway or Alaska).

Islands in general shouldn't experience extreme temperatures unless the sea around them actually freezes over (for example, check the winter temp in Iceland from this post, though keep in mind those maps have an extra "Chill" category from -3 to 0 °C largely covering the Icelandic coast, so don't get confused by that).

EDIT (About the rainfall question):

Let me see, by "equatorial continent" I assume you refer to the large warm landmass, and the southern sea is the small Mediterranean-esque seaway between the northern landmass and the equatorial landmass. I'd say this body of water could supply some degree of water to the regions around it, but at the end of the day the area is in desert latitudes and woul probably be arid overall. I suppose there could be a summer monsoon, and the eastern coast would likely receive fairly regular rainfall from that large equatorial ocean (which btw, should probably have a greater warming effect on the coasts of your northern continent, that's basically a relatively closed body of tropical water).
    Last edited by Charerg; 06-30-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Even if the wind does blow from the sea, those are arctic waters that could even be frozen for the most part, since the area isn't affected by a hot current in your currents map (...) I'd suggest ramping up the temperatures of the islands and the coast along the southwestern margin, at least below the 60° latitude line, since those areas actually are affected by a warm current
    I can see your point Charerg. I made some more changes to the map according to it:

Name:	january temperatures corrected.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	108098
    (I'll fix mountains later)
    When it comes to the coasts of the equtorial/inner ocean tho... I suppose I can raise temperatres there by a category but I'm not 100% sold on that. This area is still quite far north and the winds are blowing mostly parallel to the coast so I'm not sure if it will have such a big impct on temperatures (Although I can be wrong about it) :/

Let me see, by "equatorial continent" I assume you refer to the large warm landmass, and the southern sea is the small Mediterranean-esque seaway between the northern landmass and the equatorial landmass. I'd say this body of water could supply some degree of water to the regions around it, but at the end of the day the area is in desert latitudes and woul probably be arid overall. I suppose there could be a summer monsoon, and the eastern coast would likely receive fairly regular rainfall from that large equatorial ocean
    That's the one. I count on that summer monsoon here as the continent is suposed to be covered by "tropical forest" at lest for its the larger part. But can I make land east of that inland range category "2" on rainfall map (so it's not completely dry)? (As a side note: I suppose I can make some "wip" names for main regions of this world/give them numbers to avoid confusion. I just can't use official names for copyright reasons)

Oh, and one more thing: Should I change something in july temperatures or can I leave them as they are?

I guess the temperatures around the inner ocean might be fine as they are. As you say, the area is pretty far north. I didn't analyse the July map in detail, but it looked OK at a glance, so I'd say just move on to precipitations and modify the temperatures later if something looks weird (after all, the climate generation itself takes only a moment if you're using one of the available scripts).

Edit @Azelor:
    Btw, speaking of scripts, it might be an idea to add a link to AzureWings' version as well to the OP. It does offer a lot of extra flexibility compared to the clunkier one I wrote, since you can set up as many temperature/precipitation categories as you think are necessary, and the actual math is then done by the script.
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.

I've updated my version of the climate classifier script to be more accurate to the category definitions in the Kottek et al. paper (thanks again Charerg for pointing that out!). I've also added support for RGBA images or images with other extra channels besides R, G, and B (which the script now deals with by ignoring all those other channels, instead of just failing), and also added a short message printed to the command line on successful completion that includes the time that it took to run (based on just clock time, so if you put your computer to sleep for a while while the script is running and then start it up again the time will look extremely long ). The latter message can be optionally silenced if you'd rather not have it. I've pushed all the changes to Github so the same link from my earlier post will go to the latest version of the script.

Well, since the temperatures turned out to be a bit of an issue I decided to install Clima-Sim and check them this way Here are the modified maps:

Name:	twierdza temperatures.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	108356 It seems that I simply underestimated the effects some influences have on the northern landmass (well, sometimes by a lot apparently :/ ) Other changes are completely cosmetic.
    Besides that I made (rough) temporary dry/wet maps:

Name:	january rain.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	108357 january Click image for larger version. 

Name:	july rain.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	108358 july
    I can't tell if this is right or wrong :/ I followed the instructions but in some places I had to just guess and my intuition then was like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    What do you think? Is it "good enough" or something needs to be changed?

The "rough" dry/wet maps are (like the influence maps) more of a guideline. I suspect some things may be off, but it's hard to say based on the rough maps, because it's difficult to compare these guideline maps to precipitation maps of Earth. With that in mind, you should probably move on to creating the actual precipitation maps, then you can actually generate the climates and start looking at places that seem to be off the mark.

Here are some precipitation maps of Earth you can compare yours to (from Climate prediction center):

January:

Name:	n.clim01.figa.gif 
Views:	73 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	108437

July:

Name:	n.clim07.figa.gif 
Views:	72 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	108438
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-14-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Hey! I also gave your wonderful tutorial a try, or at least started to. Here's what I've done so far.

Currents

Name:	CurrentMap.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	109021

January

Name:	JanPressWind.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	431.7 KB 
ID:	109022

July

Name:	JulPressWind.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	417.0 KB 
ID:	109023

I'm pretty certain that despite my efforts there are still many mistakes lurking. Especially with the winds. Anyway, I would love to hear feedbacks!
    Thanks in advance.

Just a quick update: I finished precipitation map for january and before I start working on july map I just want to make sure that I am getting this thing right Click image for larger version. 

Name:	january precipitation.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	109075 (I intentionally ignored orographic lift because it's an additional work that doesn't seem to change all that much and I really need to speed the work up...)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquareRootOf2 View Post
    Hey! I also gave your wonderful tutorial a try, or at least started to. Here's what I've done so far.

I'm pretty certain that despite my efforts there are still many mistakes lurking. Especially with the winds. Anyway, I would love to hear feedbacks!
    Thanks in advance.
    A good start! The currents look to be ok on the whole. Not so sure about the winds, but it's probably easier to just move onwards to temperatures and precipitation, you can always change things later on as you learn more about climate and perhaps discover that your first interpretation has some flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by NadirtheFox View Post
    Just a quick update: I finished precipitation map for january and before I start working on july map I just want to make sure that I am getting this thing right

Name:	january precipitation.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	109075
    (I intentionally ignored orographic lift because it's an additional work that doesn't seem to change all that much and I really need to speed the work up...)
    Looks plausible on the whole, with some possibly problematic areas. Tbh, I kind of think that neither myself or Azelor really has the time for detailed feedback regarding precipitations, which is somewhat unfortunate. That said, now that there's plenty of scripts available, it's very easy to actually generate the climates and make changes to temperature and precipitation afterwards. So, my advice is to just go with your instinct for now and create the final precipitation map, later on I can hopefully provide some more detailed feedback about the climates themselves.
    Last edited by Charerg; 08-03-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast