Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected Uncle Twitchy's Avatar
    Sitting on a park bench (eying little girls with bad intent)

Thanks, Chareg! Believe it or not, I've read all of these threads, pretty thoroughly, though the whole placement of pressure zones and and wind patterns has been pretty daunting for me to wrap my head around. I'm just hoping for some feedback to see if I'm heading in the right direction.

(It occurs to me that I may need to reassess some of my coastlines to show where the ocean currents are battering against them and when they're flowing past them. I'm getting there!)

ok so its been bothering me for 13 months, since the last time i posted, every time i try to use this guide it bothers me, so im going to finally ask. i know azelor is using actual climate data for his guide and that climate data clearly shows a huge low pressure zone in australian summer, but WHY does that low pressure zone expand out over the pacific ocean? no other contanent seems to do this to any where near the same degree that australia does, the low pressure zone even begins slightly before australia in the indian ocean, whats going on here?

Looking at it closely, the West Pacific pressure is lower all year long.
    I guess the temperatures tend to be higher in the west.
    The sea in the east is colder because it gets the currents coming from Antarctica and North America.
    After than, the current merge and travel around the equator westward and accumulate heat in the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_circulation

It looks like I never paid enough attention to ocean's temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Looking at it closely, the West Pacific pressure is lower all year long.
    I guess the temperatures tend to be higher in the west.
    The sea in the east is colder because it gets the currents coming from Antarctica and North America.
    After than, the current merge and travel around the equator westward and accumulate heat in the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_circulation

It looks like I never paid enough attention to ocean's temperature.
    so would this happen on any large ocean at the equator? what happens if there are no continental shelves at the equator?

Then I assume the temperature and pressure will be even along the equator.

i think one mitigating circumstance that some maps will have is something that i have. the ocean currents that are arriving in indonesia are especially warm because both the cold currents from the north and south american coast are exceedingly far away from where those currents arrive at the australian and indonesian continental shelves. on a fantasy map im working on however while i have a long stretch of ocean between 2 southern continents i have a northern continent between them, this northern continent's cold current will mix with the equatorial current that eventually reaches the eastern coast of the western continent and will cool the current to a sufficient degree that i dont think it would cause this walker circulation to a degree noticeable enough that i need to track the pressure zone created there.

i think its a case where earth is actually performing stranger climatological phenomenon than fiction.
    Last edited by arch-fiend; 05-25-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Like Africa, it does get in the way of the equatorial current.

i think its a case where earth is actually performing stranger climatological phenomenon than fiction.
    Not necessarily. We know more about the climate of Earth than of a fictional world because we can observe it but there are things we do not understand.
    It's hard to tell how things will change if you change the variables.

For the temperatures in part 2 of section 5 (at https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post285140), there's no indicator for Hot Currents in the summer or Continental+ in the Winter. Is there a reason for this, and what values should those zones/latitudes be associated with?

Quote Originally Posted by Coggleton View Post
    For the temperatures in part 2 of section 5 (at https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post285140), there's no indicator for Hot Currents in the summer or Continental+ in the Winter. Is there a reason for this, and what values should those zones/latitudes be associated with?
    It's just like the normal temperatures.

Ah, I see. With that, I've finished up a tentative sea-level temperature map for January and July using the same color guide suggested earlier, but I've noticed a couple issues:

- There are places where there are drastic jumps in temperature ranges, such as from blue to yellow or orange to peach. While I imagine these would need the missing temperatures in between them, how think should I expect these ranges to be? Would I connect them with similar temperature regions that occur closer to the poles?
    - How thick should the temperature influence zones due to ocean currents be?
    - Would these changes be best implement before or after I account for elevation?

Thank you.

January:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suru_jan_temps.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	123294

July:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suru_july_temps.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.25 MB