Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

No, it's made to be run from a command line, with the filepaths for input and output image files as arguments. Part of the idea there was you could use GIMP, Photoshop or whatever else you want to make the temperature/precipitation maps without needing to use a specific editor to be compatible with the script.

Quote Originally Posted by AzureWings View Post
    To clarify, are you trying to run the script via GIMP or on its own via Python from a command-line? The latter method's correct; the description of it in the first post as a "GIMP script" is a bit misleading.
    Yep, with Python, 3.4 if i’m not wrong. I found infinite obstacle to install pillow on 3.0!
    I’ve run it and said that some pixels are wrong colours, so i done some pixel hunting, the next time i tried he keep telling that error unorderable types: sum() > float(). I used altprecprofile, modified in the colors by me (i hope well) and defaulttemppprofile Also modified by me because i’ve used different colours. Have you hot some suggestion? I’ve broke it? 😛

Go ahead and PM the modified altprecprofile to me (or just post it) and I can take a look and see if I can reproduce the error with it. Another thing that might be helpful is if you could pass on the stack trace Python outputs below "Traceback:" before the actual error message when it occurs.

Go ahead and PM the modified altprecprofile to me (or just post it) and I can take a look and see if I can reproduce the error with it. Another thing that might be helpful is if you could pass on the stack trace Python outputs below "Traceback:" before the actual error message when it occurs.
    Well, it seems he didn't like the way i wrote (default) in the ocean line in the defaulttempprofile: i changed it with the actual ocean color and now it say: Error: Invalid color in input data (did not match input profile): (0, 0, 0)
    i guess i'm in for more pixel hunting...

EDIT: Finally i manage to have the output!
    I don't really know how.. i have arrived to a point were eveything i do the error was Error: Invalid color in input data (did not match input profile): (107, 165, 210) the color of the ocean, so after a lot of tries i assigned a random temperature value to ocean instead of O and.. it somehow worked... with oceans in right places and climate.. well.. i guess correct.. it's a bit of a puzzle but i think i can manage to make some adjustment!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terranuova.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	123959
    Last edited by Michi il Disperso; 07-16-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Glad you got it working! The (Default) token to have a default input value for unrecognized colors is case-sensitive, for future reference. The ocean color showing up as an 'invalid' color can result from mismatches in which areas are land and ocean between different input maps (that's a bug I need to fix still).

@Azelor:
    I guess this might be a good opportunity to change the text in the opening post to something like "Python script for generating the climates" since the GIMP part really could be misleading to some users. I also made an ad-hoc guide on how to use Azure's script some time ago, it might be useful to link that in the opening post as well.

The (Default) token to have a default input value for unrecognized colors is case-sensitive
    Yes, i tryed many ways, still don't know if that was the problem...

The ocean color showing up as an 'invalid' color can result from mismatches in which areas are land and ocean between different input maps (that's a bug I need to fix still).
    I found it reading the thread, that could be the source of the error, so i checked every coastline pixel, but i'm nearly sure it wasn't the case.. anyway, it worked! And still work, i'm doing some change in the temp map.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    @Azelor:
    I guess this might be a good opportunity to change the text in the opening post to something like "Python script for generating the climates" since the GIMP part really could be misleading to some users. I also made an ad-hoc guide on how to use Azure's script some time ago, it might be useful to link that in the opening post as well.
    Thanks Charerg, i found and followed your tips; unfortunatly each version of Python (and every pc i guess) seems to have a particular way to write the input in the cmd.. or maybe it's only i'm a total newbie with programming and such...

About the Climate in general: i didn't found in the thread anything related to big lakes or internal sea (like Mediterranean) and how they can influence the climate nearby; if i'm not wrong they smooth a bit the temperature variations and rise a bit the humidity; is there some quantification of this i can look for?

okay, so after Michi il Disperso lead me to this thread I am trying to make this climate-thingy work. Now I have some questions concerning my currents:

Name:	Edrafoa_Klima_currents.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	124167

- are they "realistic"?
    - should the southern or northern polar currents flow into the other direction?
    - should there be an exchange of water between the southern equatorial and polar currents?
    - Is there anything else wrong?

Hi!
    I try to answer some, mind i'm not an expert, i just pass the tutorial as you're doing!
    I have made some small correction in your currents, these are mine opinions, not scientific corrections, so wait for the answer of someone more expert XD
    Just a thing: in your projection you cut some latitude? If not, mind that the north pole is actually a point, not a line, so the mountains should be line as well.
    I think the excange of water is fine, it could occour with a deep ocean current that isn't interesting for the climate.

Name:	Edrafoa_Klima_currents mod.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	124168

Guild Apprentice

Speaking of invalid color values, I just ran through this tutorial and encountered the paintbrush-mixed-colors-problem. To solve this, I wrote a python script to correct all non-standard (standard as defined by the script's input) color pixels in an input image to the nearest standard color. This script worked pretty well for me, and I figure I'm not the only one who's encountered this problem; @AzureWings do you think it would be worthy of inclusion on the speculative-koppen GitHub?

Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast