Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] World Map construction thread

Yeah I was thinking the other week how we seem to lack any Africa equivalent continent which is a shame because Africa is pretty interesting. It's OK I guess though since we got some new stuff to explore, also Earth is Earth and this is a different world. It's not so bad as I feel that deserts would likely only form a small part of the maps people want to make, but I could be wrong. I was curious about the abrupt line-like colour change from white to orange at the mountains on the eastern continents along the equator?

Do you have a colour key you could also post?

Perhaps we should try and come up with a name for this world? I wouldn't even know where to start... maybe just a simple vocalization of CWBP... Kwubap? lol.
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-28-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Too much Also

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Yeah I was thinking the other week how we seem to lack any Africa equivalent continent which is a shame because Africa is pretty interesting. It's OK I guess though since we got some new stuff to explore, also Earth is Earth and this is a different world. It's not so bad as I feel that deserts would likely only form a small part of the maps people want to make, but I could be wrong. I was curious about the abrupt line-like colour change from white to orange at the mountains on the eastern continents along the equator?

Do you have a colour key you could also post?

Perhaps we should try and come up with a name for this world? I wouldn't even know where to start... maybe just a simple vocalization of CWBP... Kwubap? lol.
    Don't you think that the eastern continent look similar to Africa ? large desert surrounded by hot steppes and also a lot of Savannah (they have a particularly dry season). Similar but different since the continent is east-west while Africa is north-south.

The abrupt change is cause by the method I'm using for the precipitation layer. The equatorial climates have 3 colors. The most humid is a darker blue and the dry one is lighter. In fact the second one has 2 tincture of blue. 1 is supposed to symbolize a dry winter and the other is for dry summer. But since they are at the equator, the concept of winter and summer is meaningless. And it doesn't change the climate anyway.

The white area: apparently I don't have these colors in my scheme, maybe I missed them since there is 1000 combinations. But it's odd that they are all at the same place. The method is not to blame because i have found one that was not there.

Yea, I will use the proper colors next time.

I choose Falcazor (not really a good name for the world but interesting)
    No, seriously I was considering Demorgos. It's a deformation of the word Demiurge, the world creator. We could add a suffixe or prefixe to include ''land of'' (or not because that part has been forgotten). The meaning would be land of the creator.
    According to my friend Google: In Greek it's: γη του δημιουργού or gi̱ tou di̱miourgoú
    the pronunciation is somewhere between Jitou and Yitou but we can also drop it or deform the thing even further.

Perhaps it's just the placement of the continents but I was considering that lower eastern continent more like the southern part of North America. Of course it also reminds me of the veldt in FF 6 which was like African savannah so maybe I'm just crazy.

Demorgos is fine, three syllables is kinda heavy but it could also be cool if it was elaborate, or perhaps if we corrupt it a bit more - Demgors - Dremgos - Morgos (I've definitely heard this one before) - Dromogos - Demrog -Emregos. Or more elaborate perhaps with the J/Yitou (although it sounds weird to my ear as a prefix) - Demrogos Jitous (I kinda like this one)- Demorgos Jiyou - Jiyou Demorgos...

Attachment 66996

Attachment 66997

still need some work but I think it's ok for now.

A question about scale:

for the world map it's 1km = 0,25 pixel
    For regional maps, what scale should we use ?
    If I make the map 10 times larger I get a file of 2700 x 2700 pixels when I take the red selected area. I admit it's a relatively large area so we could go with something bigger but we need to have a reasonable size.
    with this we have 1 km = 2,5 pixel

10 times larger, does this sound OK, too small or too big ?

I was also wondering about the rivers. Does the new landscape influence the waterflow? What method do you use to decide where to put them ?

What regional maps?

The water flow is just a generalization as is everything else. I made a grey scale hight map imported it into Wilbur and ran some various erosion cycles. I don't see why the new landscape would particularly affect the water flow given its generality.

The colored areas of this map. I named them regional maps but they can also simply be called plots.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...sses-clean.png

People will use whatever scale that suits their purpose I imagine, there's no reason to standardize the scale of plot maps that I can think of. Why do you want to use a specific scale?

Because that's how they did with the other project. I think the maps will look less mismatched.

What do you think about the scale Redrobes ?

Part of the charm is that the maps will look mismatched. Their project was geared to specifically mapping the whole world one block at a time. I don't think that should be our aim. I think our aim should be to provide an interesting world with very many diverse developments from which people can choose to suit their purposes (I'm thinking gaming mostly). But the real reason I think it is fruitless to manage the scale like that is that projection distortion makes it a pointless task. No matter what convention is chosen it won't remain valid between the different maps.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast