Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very long page load/refresh times

have you tried with another web browser ?

Banned User

No I will not use anything except IE, period. But since the problem is not present on any other website at all, I don't think that's the problem. And even if it is, IE is still about 75% of the browser use in the world, so it's kinda irrelevant. If it doesn't work for IE, it should.

Actually, IE has been in a steep decline in recent years. I use Mozilla but also IE sometimes because I experience problems with some websites. I don't know what is causing the issue but I know that changing the browser could make a difference.

Banned User

Well, I just went through 12 attempts to load a page. Here is what FF said:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at cartographersguild.com.

And here is what Chrome said:

This webpage is not available

This is a problem with cartographersguild.com. I never see this anywhere else. I see it all the time here.

If they ever fix it, someone email me, because I won't be around much any more. Reporting problems seems to be useless on here. It took me a week and the help of an outside interventionist just to get registered. The problem with earthlink has not been fixed yet. I cannot get emails from here because of that, either. And this extremely slow loading and constant trying to get some attention to the problem is obviously not working. If this is not going to get fixed, then I just don't feel like wasting my time spending half-hours at a time just to make a post.
    Last edited by Chick; 10-04-2014 at 12:45 AM.

I am on this site several times a day and I have had no problems at all, with the exception of the site being offline the other day.

I am not a tech guy so I don't really know what I am talking about but I have some ideas.

Since this doesn't happen to everyone
    the problem may be a specific set of circumstances. No one has mentioned what browser they use. Back at Dundjinni we had a
    problem where certain functions on the site would work fine for Firefox but not IE or Chrome. I was on another website, having problems
    and was told their website didn't like FireFox.

My conclusion from this is that the problem is not the website itself, but the underlying software the webhost company uses to run the
    server. If this is the cause, then the admins here are not going to be able to do anything about it.

I have decided that you need to have at least 2 different browsers available so if one doesn't work you can try another.

Banned User

I have tried three different common browsers, as you can read here, all the same.

I don't expect the admin to solve this, I expect the admin to get it solved by his webhost.

He can get off the earthlink spam blocker merely by going here: https://support.earthlink.net/articl...-earthlink.php but apparently can't be bothered to do that.

He can find out why pages load slowly by asking his webhost support. No sign that he has done that.

And you may note that I am not the one who started this thread, others are seeing the same thing, even if they don't post a lot about it. At least 4 other people posted before I even added my voice to this thread.

The slow load is frustrating, but the lack of interest by the admin in getting it fixed is the real problem.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I'm not a tech man neither. Did you try the usual stuff (clearing internet cache, cookies etc.)? Anyway I understand this could be annoying, I'll try to pm an admin to see if something can be checked/done. Thanks for your patience
    Last edited by - Max -; 10-04-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Banned User

Yes, I have tried deleting all the temp internet stuff, twice.

The thing is, this is the ONLY website where I have any problems of any kind. I cannot blame it on browsers, caches, or cookies, when every other website in my world works fast and fine.

And at first, I figured it WAS me, until I saw this thread where four other people were saying they had the same problem.

From my experience with my own websites, when five people post the same problem, there are at least twice that many more who have it but don't post, and it's a real problem.

I would like to hear from the others who said they had slow loads, whether or not they are still experiencing them.
    Last edited by Chick; 10-04-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Banned User

What I see is things work normally for a couple of minutes, I can load pages quickly and fine. Then suddenly it stops. I get Page can't be displayed errors for about 3-4 minutes. Then just as suddenly, all is back to normal for another few minutes. Then repeat.

I don't see it happen at any particular time of day.

I have wondered if it's related to someone uploading a large file, slowing down the rest of the server processing. That is something a webhost could check.

Other than that, I can't see any reason why this should be happening as it does. It's long-term and consistent, for me at least.

(And by the way, I'm a web programmer, PhD in computer science, with 20+ years as programmer and manager for IBM, and several complex game and business websites of my own, so I'm not completely ignorant of the tech aspects here)

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    but the lack of interest by the admin in getting it fixed is the real problem.
    I am not going to apologize for the amount of effort all of the admins, myself and the community leaders all volunteer to put in here. It is not a lack of interest but a lack of time for those of us who have very busy lives. Any bit we give is something more than nothing, which is all one should ask for in making a good community.

I realize you are an active member who posts often, intelligently and helpfully, but I don't appreciate being publicly criticized for the time I am able to give, or not give to this site.

I did find the time between eating bon-bons and and watching Robot Chicken reruns today to submit our MX IPs to earthlink, but as these are for a dreamhost shared mail gateway, and as earthlink blocks based on IP, I'm sure it will end up getting blocked again in time....

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast