Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] Names

Default [CWBP2] Names

We have arrived at the point where we should start developing the world and names would be really useful to identify specific places.
    The world need a name but also the continents, and all the other majors geographic elements.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...-elevation.jpg

Starting with the world

My proposition: Demorgos. It's a deformation of the word Demiurge, the world creator. We could add a suffixe or prefixe to include ''land of'' (or not because that part has been forgotten). The meaning would be land of the creator. According to my friend Google: In Greek it's: γη του δημιουργού or gi̱ tou di̱miourgoú, the pronunciation is somewhere between Jitou and Yitou but we can also drop it or deform the thing even further.

And for the continents: we already have 1 or 2 ? continents with names already.

Thurlor: the continent closest to the south pole, in the center. (it bears the name of it's creator)
    And Falconia ?:*It's one of the three continents in the est.

I think we can develop a repository of names here for people to use as they wish but I think, as in life, the names should come as people encounter and map the world and the things that start appearing there. For instance, Ghostman is mapping that Yellow area in the NW continent, I'm sure he is coming up with names for his stuff, it seems reasonable to see what develops from that and possibly the name of the continent can be derived from that.

My suggestion is that if you are developing a culture make a name or title for the culture and start putting names and possibly assigning names for your culture under there.

So for you Azelor you it would look like something like this:

Culture 1 (or whatever name you decide, can obviously be assigned later):
    Demorgos: Our planet.
    Thurlor: The closest continent to the south pole continent. It is an island.
    Blerd: blah blah blah blah
    etc.

This way people can assign names to things that would not limit or define others as to their own conceptions of a place. It would also better simulates a real planet with real people. This also ensures a homogeneity in the phonetics of names for one culture.

We should establish the location of the general cultural groups !?

No, why? Especially in a world wormed with fast travel tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Starting with the world

My proposition: Demorgos.
    I don't really like that one. I'd propose 'Creation' if it weren't already in use (by the Exalted RPG). Perhaps a name could be devised based on the word nascent -- appropriate for a world in the process of being created. 'Nascenta'? 'Nascendon'?

Maybe we could combine nascent with another word ?

About the continent names: we could try to find how the people are calling them.
    What does it represent to them?
    How do they live on that continent?
    What is the climate, geography ... ?
    How others from the outside are perceiving them/the continent?

For example: The continent in the north east is mountainous and the people are never really far from the coast. They live between the narrow strips of land between the ocean and the tall mountains. It reminds me of Norway, since the climate is relatively cold and wet for the most part.

The continent in the south: people are maybe not even aware of it's existence. If far form civilization and too cold to be settled. It's always surrounded by ice (almost). They might think it's only made of ice...

And names for oceans would be useful too.
    Last edited by Azélor; 11-10-2014 at 12:36 AM.

If we're going to have 'official' names for major geographic features (which would certainly be convenient) then I'd prefer to keep those as generic, meaningful english terms. "Northeastern temperate continent", "southern subarctic island" and so on. Or even use some kind of numbering system, eg. C1, C2, C3... for continents; R1, R2, R3... for major rivers; A1, A2, A3... for archipelagoes; M1, M2, M3... for mountain ranges.

Obviously these official names would not actually be used by the inhabitants of the setting. They're merely for us to have a common reference set. Next to each official name there could be listed any number of proper place names that represent what those places are called by the various cultures and languages of the setting.

That is a really bland way to see the world. Or perhaps we should use the point of view of one particular area of the world to describe and name the places at start?

Some oceans, bay and other places on Earth don't have universal name but nobody calls them A1 ocean.

I am not part of this group but I have been enjoying the discussions and the creation process. I think for the creators, Ghostman's naming idea is the most efficient while the world is being created. As for final place names, there may be more than one for each area. The inhabitants may call it one thing, the "discoverers" a different one and the cartographers yet another.

Keep up the great work, I love the interaction between you guys and look forward to seeing the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    That is a really bland way to see the world. Or perhaps we should use the point of view of one particular area of the world to describe and name the places at start?
    This is what I think we should do, just pin it to a specific culture and use that cultures names and stuff for our common understanding. That way is no more determinative of a specific authors creative process than naming them A1 Ocean or whatever.

If we are using culture "Bill" to name things, and Bill calls an ocean the Fastback Sea. It doesn't mean that your culture, "Johnny Rotten", from whose perspective you are mapping, needs to use the same name or anything remotely related to it. At the same time all the cartographers and authors will know where Fastback Sea is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast