Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Challenge : The Hunt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Wip October/November 2014 Challenge : The Hunt

Well, well, well, here's the brief my esteemed and honorable client Djekspek gave me :

People have been talking about the elusive city of Baleia for centuries. It is said to be build on the back of a gigantic whale. Inhabited by legendary merfolk... Once every decade the whale emerges and a 10 mile high spray of mucus and carbon dioxide is send flying into the sky. And although many stories are told about this wonderous event, only few actually claim to have witnessed this. The great explorer Jonah is determined to find the whale and has been hunting it for his entire live now... He tracks down people that claim to have witnessed the blowing with his lifetime goal to actually visit the legendary city of Baleia...

Your challenge is to create the map constructed by Jonah. In should tell the story of his hunt... He uses this map to try to find out the route the whale travels (filled with scribbles and notes of sightings, plans and encounters.. possible feeding grounds, currents... maybe a skeleton of another huge whale is somewhere so they know about anatomy...), the world has a lot of water obviously else it would be spotted often...

Let's try to not disappoint him, he really pays a lot for this commission Ok, here's some start :

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Hunt1.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	68392
    Last edited by - Max -; 10-16-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Great start Max! I'm sure I won't be dissappointed love the border as well! cheers, DJ

Oh, that's a great brief. I always like maps that contain stories.

And presumably you don't have to map the city, but the journey to find it--interesting concept.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Actually, Djekspek gave me 2 options : map the journey or map the city. I chose the first one but I might mix both options a bit to see what comes up. Not 100% sure at the moment though.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Actually, Djekspek gave me 2 options : map the journey or map the city. I chose the first one but I might mix both options a bit to see what comes up. Not 100% sure at the moment though.
    I'm looking forward to this map.

I went into texturing and coloring the background parchment and worked a bit on defining coastlines. Current direction is some kind of brown monochromatic.

Name:	The Hunt2.jpg 
Views:	681 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	68415

But I also played with this as an idea.

Name:	The Hunt3.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	911.6 KB 
ID:	68416

I have several ideas for this map and I still have to figure out how to mix them into something good. If I'm going in this way, the journey map will probably have to be size-reduced but would it still be interesting? Hmm...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

As I said once about Ascension, I think I need to eat your brain so I can absorb your talent.

NOTE: I have nothing to do with Ascension's long absence from these forums...

Make me think that some talentuous mappers dissapeared last months. Diamond ! You dared !

Ok after a few thoughts about it, I decided to flip the map vertically. I thrown in some basic geographic elements (meaning mountains and rivers) More shouldn't be that relevant in the journey. I also started Jonah's route and thought it would be fun to make the WIPs as his journey's steps so you can follow the story along those steps. First steps, so :

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	The Hunt4.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	68422
    Last edited by - Max -; 10-17-2014 at 12:39 PM.

One step further :

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	The Hunt5.jpg 
Views:	1148 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	68425

NOTE: I have nothing to do with Ascension's long absence from these forums...
    I have been tracking this for quite awhile ! ANOTHER CLUE IN THE PUZZLE!I am watching you. MAX I suggest you get a body guard IMMEDIATELY !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast