Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] Races

Post [CWBP2] Races

Now that we have our own section, I don't feel guilty to spam the forum with threads about the project. I encourage you to do the same if you would like to discus a topic.

Some questions to help the reflexion:

What races do we want to include in our world?
    Do we have only one race,a mostly human world, a handful of major races with some minor races or a very diverse world?
    If we have multiple races, why? Have they evolved together? Do they come from another world? Were they created by the gods?
    What makes each race unique (biology)
    Are each race tied to a particular environment (elves=forest)?
    How do they interact with each other?
    Do the races have sub-races or different ethnicities? Elves and dark elves for example
    If so, what are the differences? Why have they evolved differently? Are they getting along with each other?
    What is the geographical distribution of each race
    (Maybe it's too early for that question)
    Are multi racial states common?

Note: I'm talking mostly of sentients races here, but magical beasts like dragons could also fit in this topic.

I know I'm not exactly part of this project at all, but can I please just say that maybe you could do some concept designs of some new races. I feel with all the elves and dwarves this world has, they'll swoon be coming out of my ears

I remember reading three books by D. M. Cornish; they were based in a world where humans rule the ancient half-continent by the means of arcane science and alchemy, but have been fighting hundreds of other races of 'monsters' since the dawn of humans...it's hard to explain; has anyone else read them too? (The books have some awesome maps inside as well ) Consider a 'World Race' perhaps.

And another question for you guys: how old is this world?

I was thinking the world was human centric but it doesn't have to be. It could just as easily be a world where humans are a minority (which would have to be explained as that is not our natural tendency). Other than that I was thinking we approach them on a case by case basis, in that if you include them in your map they are part of the world. Perhaps we should see what starts coming in on the maps and go from there?

Full disclosure I was putting a race unique to my island derived from humans who have evolved there separately for a while (mostly as a horror element).

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I was thinking the world was human centric but it doesn't have to be. It could just as easily be a world where humans are a minority (which would have to be explained as that is not our natural tendency). Other than that I was thinking we approach them on a case by case basis, in that if you include them in your map they are part of the world. Perhaps we should see what starts coming in on the maps and go from there?

Full disclosure I was putting a race unique to my island derived from humans who have evolved there separately for a while (mostly as a horror element).
    Are you talking about cannibalism ?

Yes we could do that with the mapping but:

1- We don't have maps right now.
    2- It's harder to create a believable world.
    3- This question is still broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post

And another question for you guys: how old is this world?

What do you mean by old? The age of the planet is somewhere between 4 and 6 billion years probably.

Banned User

The solid Earth is known to be over 4.04 BY, zircons that old from Australia have been dated by uranium radioactive decay methods. And there is no guarantee that these are the first rocks that formed, only the oldest that we have found so far. Meteorites of the type that formed the Earth are typically about 4.54 BY old, so it can't be older than that.
    Last edited by Chick; 11-02-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Sorry, I meant civilisation.
    Depending if you delve into fantasy or not, you can evoke the power of author's license and make civilisation as old as you like...what period of history are they in? How advanced is the world?
    Decide the metal composition of the world, so as to mark the places that would have gained abilities with bronze and iron first, and from there, depending on how old the world is and how much one country could affect another, decide how old human civilisation is...if it's old enough, you could end up with some very interesting political structures. Remember the younger the world is, the less it has been explored...

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    The solid Earth is known to be over 4.04 BY, zircons that old from Australia have been dated by uranium radioactive decay methods. And there is no guarantee that these are the first rocks that formed, only the oldest that we have found so far. Meteorites of the type that formed the Earth are typically about 4.54 BY old, so it can't be older than that.
    Why this world couldn't be older than 4,54 BY ?

Banned User

I only wished to refine your "4 to 6 billion years" estimate

The early universe formed only stars of hydrogen and helium. Those stars had to go through a life cycle to produce heavier elements in their supernova destructions. Those heavier elements had to rejoin into second generation stars, and that was the earliest that solid planets could form. Those planets formed of smaller pieces of solid matter called asteroids (chunks of rock in space formed themselves by accretion in the second generation star disk). The oldest of those are about 4.5 BY, suggesting that to be the earliest that solid planets could form.

Of course, in fantasy, anything you want to be true can be ....

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I only wished to refine your "4 to 6 billion years" estimate

The early universe formed only stars of hydrogen and helium. Those stars had to go through a life cycle to produce heavier elements in their supernova destructions. Those heavier elements had to rejoin into second generation stars, and that was the earliest that solid planets could form. Those planets formed of smaller pieces of solid matter called asteroids (chunks of rock in space formed themselves by accretion in the second generation star disk). The oldest of those are about 4.5 BY, suggesting that to be the earliest that solid planets could form.

Of course, in fantasy, anything you want to be true can be ....
    Actually (still staying outside of fantasy where almost everything can happen), the life duration of a star is inversely proportional to the mass of the star squared (Life ~ k .(M/M0)^ -2.5).
    So stars of a mass say 10 times our Sun which are precisely those that will go supernova live typically only a few dozens millions of years. On the other hand stars of mass less than our Sun's live a few dozens of billions of years.
    That means that already 100 millions years after the birth of the Universe there have been enough exploded Supernovas to create some planetary systems similar to ours.

For this fantasy world there can't be any estimate of its age if one doesn't know something about its Sun. If it is a small Sun it may be as old as the Universe, up to 15 billions years (assuming the Universe is 15 billions years old) , if it is a huge Sun then it may be less than a billion.
    For our Earth we have a small and relatively young Sun so that the heavy atoms around us are results of N generations of Supernovas, N being potentially very large.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast