A couple of things to consider about economics:

We have boats that can travel across the ocean. They are not the best for trading but it's good enough if you know how.
A lot of the trade is probably done on the rivers with small or medium boats and by land with unicorns.

Questions I was asking myself:

1- Where are the natural resources? Where are the resources more likely to be found? Do they have resources that we don't have on Earth (or lack resources we have)?
This thread could be useful: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...ces-where.html

I was trying to put down on paper the important resources that our people could use to trade but I can't decide what is important enough to be mentioned.
I was also interested to find non natural resources that our people could trade, like magic items maybe?

2- Finding the trade routes. Unless we are talking about sea trade, it will depend on many factors and I'm not sure if we can speculate on this right now.
The major winds and oceanic currents are supposed to go east to west near the equator and west to east at the mid latitudes. (more or less)

Trade routes start in a city and end in another city. There is usually fresh water near the road and it passes in a lot of cities along the way. Major trades routes are limited by geographic and safety concern. They go where the profit is.

3- Trading language: do we want that sort of thing?

4- Currencies: Is there a currency more important than others regarding trading ? Like: do we have some sort of Roman/American currency?

5- Guilds: Do we have some large trading companies like the VOC or the Hanseatic League? I'm not talking about a state like Venice that was a merchant republic but a NGO.

Keep in mind that these question are there only to help with the brainstorming.