Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Th'mecan - a fantasy troglodyte settlement

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Max

Your work is truly inspiring sir. You have an incredible grasp on cartography.
    This map is really looking nice. Are you planning on keeping it just inked, or do you plan to add color?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks Captain. I plan to color it though the palette will be a very limited one, based on the yellowish color of the base texture to match the arid canyon theme.
    So, adding highlights on the canyon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canyon6.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	904.2 KB 
ID:	70801

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

This is really looking great Max.
    Just curious what program do you use to map with?
    I am assuming it is PS and a drawing tablet....maybe a Cintiq, but you know what they say about assuming.

Thank you ! Actually it's an Intuos but otherwise yes you're right, photoshop and tablet

This might be a good time to pick your brain, Max, and there's something I've been wondering for a while, now.

I know you've done a few pen and paper maps, but mostly you seem to stick with the tablet, these days. Is it difficult to transition from one to the other? I imagine it takes a while to get used to the tablet.

Oh, nice start, by the way. (It almost goes without saying, these days, but I've said it anyway.)

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    This might be a good time to pick your brain, Max, and there's something I've been wondering for a while, now.

I know you've done a few pen and paper maps, but mostly you seem to stick with the tablet, these days. Is it difficult to transition from one to the other? I imagine it takes a while to get used to the tablet.THW
    For me the main difference was the sense of scale and dimensions. When you draw on paper, you draw at the "real" size, when you're on computer, you draw way bigger than it would be once printed for instance, and this has pros and cons. Getting the sense of how it will look at print size is very important to get used. Another one at the start with tablet was the weird feeling to see your drawing while not looking at your stylus moving, this gap takes a little time to get used to that. Otherwise yes it needs some time, patience and practise to get used to it but at the end, it worths it, I find it more flexible, fluid, polyvalent (the uses of brushes adds a lot) and comfortable (especially for the Ctrl+Z magic touch ). I don't even use a mouse no more on computer, watever I do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Oh, nice start, by the way. (It almost goes without saying, these days, but I've said it anyway.) THW
    Ah well that's always appreciated

Thanks, Max. I may invest in a graphics tablet sometime, and it is good to know what I'll be letting myself in for.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

No problem THW. I've added the canyon river and a very few missing shadows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canyon7.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	907.0 KB 
ID:	70810

Wow, that's already very impressive! I can easily imagine this in a comic/rpg book. You got a knack for lights and shadows! I like the colors too.
    I'm very curious to see how you're gonna add the city now!

Thank you Ilanthar, actually this will be more a very little settlement than a city

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast