Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: February 2015 Challenge: Haerlech

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Lovely map! Did you make the shapes in PS or with a vector program?

Thank you Arsheesh. I will. I still have a lot to do so I'll probably have to start another wip thread after the contest.
    Thanks Ilanthar. I learn a lot doing these challenges. The time crunch makes you try new things and quickly.
    Thanks Sapiento. Everything is hand drawn in PS. I want to start using illustrator for some things but i have to find time to learn it properly.

Cool map, sir! Great changes between the original city and the new plan. I especially like the bit that sticks out in the first part (at the top) and how it morphs to engulf a small portion of the interior surroundings over time. And the big walled harbor proposal. Makes me curious about what happened to make it all evolve like that.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

lovely map, nice and subtle colors !

Thanks Francissimo.
    Chashio - Thanks. Yeah, that is a BIG harbor for what was a small city. The idea was that the city was taken over by a neighboring power. They are the ones who wished to expand so much. It's part of why the city is so dense. The new rulers were not very accommodating of the original population. Many were pushed out into the outer city.
    There is growing resistance and rebellion and the new rulers are likely to lose this city back to the original people.
    I'm thinking that the second map we're seeing is at a time just before the overthrow of the new rulers. Maybe, over time I can do a third map and show how things have changed since the city was taken back. That would be cool.

Here's an update on the first map. I did a bit more on the water. I'm not putting it as a current wip image. I am working on the second image, harbor, landscape, and further buildings. I'm hoping to be able to put up another update before the close of the challenge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 01e2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	71291

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You know what's got me intrigued? That little area labeled 'The Dead'...

Diamond - That made me think of an entirely different story line. That could be pretty interesting too.
    Well, I'm not sure how much time is left but this one will not likely get completed while this challenge is running.
    Here's as far as I got tonight. Still tons more to do.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 04a merge [L] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	71293

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12