Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarantia

Hi Ilanthar, i love the variation of the buildings in size and form. Looks pretty "authentic". I have to agree with hacki, that a "vauban-style" bastion wall-system might look great! (It's a personal thing, i was always impressed by these , but the above mentioned shape of the buildings reminds me of a neo-classical? / baroque? partly planned city, where such walls would fit very well .

Thanks to both of you!

By Abu Lafia
    I have to agree with hacki, that a "vauban-style" bastion wall-system might look great!
    Yep, but it's supposed to be a medieval city with a lot of old antique buildings. It's probably due to the fact that I took inspiration on more recent maps.

A bit more again. I'm not sure of the yellow color for the roofs, I may darken it a bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarantia first tests.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	71471

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected
    Shippenville, Pennsylvania, United States

Great job my friend!! Will be waiting to see the completed project!!!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Not much to add beyond keep up the coolness. I feel like I don't comment in the Town/City Mapping forum enough...

Wow, you got a lot done since I last checked, which wasn't long ago.
    Great work Ilanthar. It's coming along nicely. As for the yellow, maybe mix it with some darker yellow or light orange.
    Like some roofs being that yellow and some being variations. That could look nice.

Diamond - didn't you know...town and city is where it's at.

This is going to look fantastic once it is finished. As for the yellow - well you can always easily change it later by just selecting the whole area and using the HSB adjustment option. That is usually what I do.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I'm still blown away by the realism of the building blocks and streets. I honestly think this is one of the most realistic city maps I have ever seen (with the possible exception of Argona: and that city flew!)

I had assumed that the colours do not represent the actual roof colours of the buildings, but rather the administrative/political boundaries of the city--in which case the yellow is fine (perhaps just a smidgen strong, but nothing too serious). And if the colours actually do represent the roofs, you can always come up with some kind of explanation for it: maybe the residents in that ward paint their roofs yellow for aesthetic reasons, or something?

I do have just one nitpick with the map. There is something about the buildings which looks a bit too crisp (I'm not sure if that's the best word, but it's the only one I can think of right now). I don't know if it is that the building outlines are too dark, or some mismatch in the shadows; there's just something about it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Anyway, critiques aside, really fantastic job so far!

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thanks a lot everyone !

By J.Edward
    Like some roofs being that yellow and some being variations. That could look nice.
    That's a good idea, but as THW guessed, the colors are meant to spot the different wards... Really like the idea, though.

By Larb
    well you can always easily change it later by just selecting the whole area and using the HSB adjustment option. That is usually what I do.
    I don't know what HSB adjustment option is (photoshop term?), but I catch the general idea.

By THW
    There is something about the buildings which looks a bit too crisp (I'm not sure if that's the best word, but it's the only one I can think of right now). I don't know if it is that the building outlines are too dark, or some mismatch in the shadows; there's just something about it that I can't quite put my finger on.
    I've done a test about the lines... and I'm pretty sure that there are indeed some mismatch in the shadows. Is this better?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarantia first tests.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	71501

Time to expand the city on the other bank!

That was something I had meant to ask. Well, then it makes sense for the colors as they are.
    I kind of like the yellow.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast