Thread: 3D Dungeon Study

Guild Member

Wip 3D Dungeon Study

Testing some ways to model a 3D dungeon in Blender.

Here I was testing a method to create walls and also some lighting effects.

For the walls, I created one "brick" and used an "Array Modifier". It's a function that clones one object several times in any axis following certain rules (such as keeping a constant distance among them).

Very nice for quick creation of several walls and for maps that you want to just visualize and print on a piece of paper. But it creates too much geometry and besides the memory costs, may be troublesome to texture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon Study 01 - WIP 01.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	71537 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon Study 01 - WIP 02.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	71538

Hi Diego,

seems to me you are using subdivision surfaces fur your "Master"-brick. Thats indeed very much geometry. What about just beveling the edges? Or you could make a low poly section, create a high poly version with details and bake out a normal map to use. There is a very good tutorial on the subject on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0mANzeuUk by CGAstym.
    To follow it one should know his way around Blender a little bit.

Have fun, I love 3D dungeons

Guild Member

Hi Troedel!

Yes, you're right!
    This method is costly in terms of geometry, but very fast if you just want a quick 3D model of a simple dungeon, or if you are lazy to texture things (although some procedural textures and other texturing tools may make it very fast). Since it's a study and I am trying different methods, I will also try to simply create a smooth wall (basically just a cube stretched), then texture it and, of course, bake the texture

Thanks for suggesting the tutorial! I will give it a try (when I have time )

Regards,
    Diego