Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: City of Wheloon - WIP

Another update for the map. But not that many visitors though, except you Gandwarf...and i thank you

I wasn't too happy with my color scheme and your maps inspired me. So i've changed quite a bit that aspect of the map.

Now all i miss is the text that will go into it and i just can't figure out a way to apply drop shadows to tree symbols in CC3. There must be something i'm missing there. Other than that, i think i like the results so far.

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAP - Wheloon 4 low.PNG 
Views:	410 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	6669  
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

And again it looks a lot better! The fields look great now and the colors feel more natural (like the roads).
    What are those large green areas? It could be forests, but they look like cliffs. Either way I am not sure I like those.

What I like about your map and I am trying to copy myself is your road system. The roads leading up to all the houses, some squares, etc.

What sheet are your trees on? They look like symbols and should be on the "Symbols" sheet. Just add some effects like a drop shadow on that sheet and they will cast a shadow.

And I am sure I am not the only one interested in your map. Your thread has been viewed over a 130 times now. Lots of people just looking and not commenting
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-26-2008 at 05:58 PM.

I like the beaches (or sandy areas) along the river. How did you do that?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think this is coming along quite nicely. I agree with Gandwarf though, the forests look more like plateaus. I'm sure you'll get that worked out though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is the first one that I've been able to see as the others wouldn't load for me...some kind of error message. Not sure about that drop shadow on the forests but otherwise this looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

If you opened up some holes in the forest canopy, I think they would seem less plateau-ish.

I love the simplicity of your lines. They are clean and effective Many people think that a simple map is simple to do, sometimes they are significantly harder than more complex ones. You have a good eye for choosing what details are necessary.
    Something witty and pithy

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. I've been thinking about the shadow under the forest and i think i agree but to a mesure. This version shows a very dimished use of that effect that i hope will give a better sense of the forest.

Unless there are major points, i think this one is done and i would thank everyone for their advice as it has improved my map immensely.

I hope it deserves a place in these halls of cartography

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAP - Wheloon 5 low.PNG 
Views:	369 
Size:	931.3 KB 
ID:	6670  
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    I like the beaches (or sandy areas) along the river. How did you do that?
    Well the beaches are pretty simple really. All i did was apply an inside glow to my main land polygon with a light beige color. Set a soft strengh and a long blur. Thats about it.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    If you opened up some holes in the forest canopy, I think they would seem less plateau-ish.

I love the simplicity of your lines. They are clean and effective Many people think that a simple map is simple to do, sometimes they are significantly harder than more complex ones. You have a good eye for choosing what details are necessary.
    Thanks . I've tried cutting holes in the forest and the effect is very interesting. I will surely use that technique in other maps but for this one, since toning down the drop shadow effect a lot, i think the final results are pretty good.
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patrakis View Post
    Thanks . I've tried cutting holes in the forest and the effect is very interesting. I will surely use that technique in other maps but for this one, since toning down the drop shadow effect a lot, i think the final results are pretty good.
    The final results are actually very good. This map is now very well done.
    I think it's cool that using the same software people can get totally different looking maps (comparing our maps for example).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast