Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: City of Wheloon - WIP

ooooh, ascii examples for the win
    Something witty and pithy

Hmm, so i should use the wall shadow instead of the drop shadow....I'll look into it. Thanks.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@RobA - Thanks...I kind of thought it might be the drop-shadow, but was waiting for someone with more CC knowledge to validate my assumption.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, this looks really nice! How did you do the trees? Is that just a CC palette thing?

Yep, those trees are from the CC3 bundle...i think they are from the SS2 extension.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Guild Novice

Question

Being a great FR fan, I think your map is excellent and a great example of what can be done with CC. (though I cant see the finished version as the web site says 'not allowed, I am required to log in')

Slightly on the same topic(ish), I am assuming (by the absence of walls) that this is the 3E version. I was wondering on what your take was on how Wheloon became a prison town? More in terms of practical things, it would need walls if it was to be a prison that people escape from, but how do you build a wall around a town that has a river in the middle of it? If I was to make a town a prison, Wheloon would probably not be it! It does not seem to lend itself to this type of activity. My only guess was that the river may have dried up when some of the water receeded but Mike Schley's map of Cormyr would suggest other wise. What do you reckon?
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.

I think I'd put some towers with underwater foundations on either side of the river and put a grate across the channel to prevent swimmers from escaping. A spiked overhang at the top of it would prevent a swimmer from climbing over it, and anyone who tried would be a nice target for archers in the towers. There might need to either be a gate or a portage to permit legitimate water travel.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

HI there and thanks for your appreciation.

As for Wheloon in the 4E era, i'm affraid i wouldn't know. I haven't picked up anything for 4E so everything i so will be canon to the 3e and before era.

As for the river problem, well, i would just limit the prison to one side of the river. There's no good reason for having a river passing through the middle of a prison. I don't know what happened to Wheloon in 4E but if it became a prison, i would've stayed on one bank of the river.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by goatdealer View Post
    Being a great FR fan, I think your map is excellent and a great example of what can be done with CC. (though I cant see the finished version as the web site says 'not allowed, I am required to log in')

Slightly on the same topic(ish), I am assuming (by the absence of walls) that this is the 3E version. I was wondering on what your take was on how Wheloon became a prison town? More in terms of practical things, it would need walls if it was to be a prison that people escape from, but how do you build a wall around a town that has a river in the middle of it? If I was to make a town a prison, Wheloon would probably not be it! It does not seem to lend itself to this type of activity. My only guess was that the river may have dried up when some of the water receeded but Mike Schley's map of Cormyr would suggest other wise. What do you reckon?
    Great map of Wheloon!
    I am also interested in a 4E Wheloon map as there are plenty of story-lines in a prison city. Just from what I've read in the 2 new 4E FR books as well as the Cormyr novel, it was walled in with 'bricks and magic'.

My guess is this would look like a great wall all around the Western side of the city, cutting off access from the river and docks. Though some trade could perhaps take place through controlled wall gates via guards or some such, a magical barrier would likely be in place, even in the sewers.

My two cents. I would be happy to assist with a new 4E map of the city, building on what's here. Nobody has anything this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanix View Post
    Great map of Wheloon!
    I am also interested in a 4E Wheloon map as there are plenty of story-lines in a prison city. Just from what I've read in the 2 new 4E FR books as well as the Cormyr novel, it was walled in with 'bricks and magic'.

My guess is this would look like a great wall all around the Western side of the city, cutting off access from the river and docks. Though some trade could perhaps take place through controlled wall gates via guards or some such, a magical barrier would likely be in place, even in the sewers.

My two cents. I would be happy to assist with a new 4E map of the city, building on what's here. Nobody has anything this good.
    hey i'm looking into running the "Gangs of wheloon" LFR adventure and if anyone has any kind of 4E map of the city i would love to get a copy?

i'm sure i could use this one and just draw on some walls but i do feel like that waould be kind of defacing a great looking map?

any help you could send my way would be greatly apreciated!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast