Thread: What am I actually naming?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To me Thyandul looks like a state name and Adrinados like the name of a region.

For myself I distinguish state names and region names as follows: States are political things with borders (or not) and ruler(s). They are defined by the head of the state as "the territory I rule".
    Regions are defined as geographically or cultural parts of land. So a region could be the "land between river a and forest b and coast c". Or it could be the "land where we speak language D". That means that a region is not a political thing. So a region could be divided amongst states. That's the way I think of regions and States. Of course there are sub-levels to states as counties and provinces and so on, just as regions could belong to a big one and be divided into smaller ones.

I read the names Thyandul and Adrinados in that way, Thyandul as political and Adrinados as geographical/cultural. Yet I miss borders on your map. To me it's hard to figure out how big the states are and what shapes they have, if there are no borders. I would also suggest to use different fonts for state names and region names so one could distinguish them easier.

As I work on my own fantasy world, Nerrac, I know how hard it could be to come up with good names. That's the reason why naming areas and places on my maps is such a slow process.
    For my continental map I decided that the map was produced by members of a university and so the language of the names is generally the one of the country the university is placed in. I only go for "foreign" names if the university-language has no name for the place. This is mostly the case for places far away where contact is rare.
    Last edited by Eld; 05-27-2015 at 08:28 AM.