Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duruthian Catacombs

Quote Originally Posted by Askren View Post
    The reason I stay away from really harsh lighting and shadows is because while it may look very realistic, in my mind it stops making sense once the players are involved.

For example, if I make a map where the inside of a building is dark with just a sliver of light coming in through a barely opened door, it looks cool. But what happens when the players open the door? The room is still dark. What if they're carrying their own light source, as they're likely to do?

Not to say the images aren't nice (I always find it funny when I can point to the exact texture someone used in my own Textures folder), but I've found it a technique that seems like a waste on battlemaps.
    Indeed there are different needs for every (battle)map and therefore when this will be finished I will include two different versions. One with specific lights and shadows and another "natural" one without any special effects. I have already created the map this in mind and all special things (light sources, items etc) can be removed in just few clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
    What's the difficulty exactly? It looks okay to me, though it's a bit unclear what's going on with the wall at the south end of the fire pit room. Has it collapsed into a pile of dirt strewn across the floor? The two just sort of fade into one another.
    I had challenges especially creating the shadows and finding a reasonable way to make corrections to them if (and when) I change the corridor layouts. The only solution I could come up with is to make the layout first and worry about the lighting afterwards. But that's not how I work. I couldn't keep my hands away from the shadows and I constantly had to recreate something I had finished 10min ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    VERY NICE, Rep! I noticed you made the light rays constantly fuzzy. This isn't actually how this realistically works. The further you are away from the source, the more the light scatters.

I made you a little help-pic =)
    Attachment 72590
    That is true. I will modify the shadows and I also need to pay attention on indirect light (amount of light and the color) in the corridors. One example of this is the orange light in the corridor from the fire. Even though the direct light doesn't hit the floor or the walls all the way, they still have a hint of orange in them.

Finally I had some more time to this and finished the floorplan and lights (the actual light sources still missing and need to be drawn though).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample-03.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	490.3 KB 
ID:	72742  

Added a lantern and draw a holder to it. Will be adding more items next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample-04.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	72867  

As a player I know as soon as you see a checkerboard pattern on the floor you should turn and leave the dungeon. There could be chess puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    As a player I know as soon as you see a checkerboard pattern on the floor you should turn and leave the dungeon. There could be chess puzzles.
    I admit I have used checkerboard puzzles few times myself and players learn to notice them rather easily. But then I have created many potential places for such puzzle or trap and not implement any. Players lower their guard after few games and then you are ready for yet another checkerboard puzzle.

It's also not out of theme with the "regular" hall floors since those are also checker board, I wouldn't think players would be that cautious. Or rather I don't think players would be needlessly more cautious than they invariably are already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12