Thread: GIMP version of Saderan's tutorial?

Default GIMP version of Saderan's tutorial?

I had mistakenly assumed that GIMP was the same as Photoshop. Apparently it's not. Which is why I was struggling with the tutorial, lol. Is there any GIMP equivalent tutorial?

Guild Novice

Which part of it are you stuck on? I'm somewhat familiar with GIMP so may be able to help, and in the (frankly, quite likely) instance that I am unable to I am sure someone here will be more than willing to help you

Thanks but from what I gather it's too different to just keep asking questions every time I get stuck. I really want a GIMP specific guide.

Guild Novice

Default GIMP version of Saderan's tutorial?

I'm going to attempt the tutorial tonight with Gimp. If I'm successful I'll let you know and then you can bombard me with however many questions you like. I may even write notes as I go if it'll help
    Last edited by DK13; 04-10-2015 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Added text

Guild Novice

I see what you meant about it being Photoshop specific, for instance in the very first steps it asks for an adjustment layer, something GIMP doesn't have. I used the following steps to get a similar result as the tutorial, let me know if this is at all helpful. In any case I will be attempting to continue the tutorial in any case, it is more time intensive to adjust to GIMP than I thought and life is getting in the way but if you want me to try and convert the entire thing I am willing. These are the steps I used:

Create the new file as per the tutorial.

Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Difference Clouds
    Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Difference Clouds

Doing this twice makes the cloud sharper and results in something that looks a little like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	352.9 KB 
ID:	72598

Create the Paint Layer as per the tutorial

Colours -> Levels

Change the Gamma Value (The one in the middle) to the left, this will separate the black and white clouds better.

Name:	Step2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	423.9 KB 
ID:	72599

Use the Fuzzy Select Tool on the Background Layer (The layer with the clouds) You may need to play with the tolerance to select most of the “Ocean” surrounding the white islands.

Without deselecting anything, select the paint layer, make sure black is your selected colour and paint in the selection, you can be as messy as you like as you are only going to be going over the black.

This leaves you with an image similar to the tutorial in Photoshop.

Name:	Step3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	72600

Hopefully this makes sense and is formatted correctly, I wasn't sure about attaching images to the forum so I'll see how it goes after it posts. Hopefully this has been somewhat helpful to you. I'll continue the tutorial and, if you'd like, I will change the terms to be more GIMP friendly, depending on how the rest of the steps go.

Thanks, that does help quite a lot actually. I'm primarily trying to learn things as I want to apply it to a fairly detailed outline map I already have.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't GIMP have adjustment layers? They sound pretty bloody nifty.

As for the entire guide, I won't ask for that. I'm sure a lot of people here would appreciate it but for me, I'm still in a learning phase and I think for the moment that all the tutorials in the GIMP section here will keep me occupied for a good long while