Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Space Archaeology Mission Map

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Sounds like a bad day I like the look of your map, especially the border really does it justice! Are you going to expand the map of the sectors, because otherwise it looks like a lot of open empty space.
    Thank you Chick. I'm glad you like the map! I was thinking of adding more sectors but am not sure whether it might be to "busy" on the starfield, taking attention away from the important sectors. Maybe i could fade them with the hexgrid.

Updated Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	space_archaeology_wip6.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	73176

- I moved the Sector-Map a bit more to the center, so it looks less "squeezed" to the maps on the right.

- I added some log-entries from Prof. Bohrenheimer for some lore. It also fills some of the open empty space on the map

- I added a logo in the bottom-left corner. Bohrenheimer was not too happy that he had to accept fundings from the IASA, a somewhat dubious organization full of "hobby archaeologists", conspiracy nuts and other "gescheiterte Existenzen" , to get his mission started....The contract says that their logo has to appear on all official documents of the mission. The fact that now Bohrenheimer gets constantly reminded of his "pseudo-scientific" sponsors, isn't exactly lifting his mood...

Cheers,
    AL

It's looking good Abu! A few questions/comments: I think that your planetary grid is a bit too strong, did you try with a brighter one? What does the ball around giant gases like Sapir represents? Will you add a texture effect on the border?
    I really like your sartfield and the IASA logo is excellent !

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's looking good Abu! A few questions/comments: I think that your planetary grid is a bit too strong, did you try with a brighter one? What does the ball around giant gases like Sapir represents? Will you add a texture effect on the border?
    I really like your sartfield and the IASA logo is excellent !
    Hey Ilanthar, thanks a lot for the nice feedback!
    Regarding your Questions:
    - I'm working on an other texture for the border. There is a slight "brushed" texture already on it, but maybe i'll add a bit more "grunge" to it, to make it look more shabby...
    - Glad you asked about the Gas-giants! I totally forgot to mention, that the low-opacity Planets behind them are depicting the original size compared to the other planets.
    - I altered the grid a bit, does it look better now?
    - The logo was inspired by a pretty popular gimp-logo-tutorial on youtube.
    -I also made some subtle labels in the style of the ones on your Aarklash-in-space map, hope you are ok with it? They look so nice, i couldn't resist... Now the starfield isn't looking so empty anymore, as chick rightly pointed out.

I finally finished the Star-system map with some detailed information about the planets and a key.
    And well, i reworked the planet (again... ) because i still wasn't too happy with it...

As always, any kind of thoughts, suggestions and critique are much appreciated.

Cheers,
    AL

Name:	space_archaeology_wip7.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	73247

By Abu Lafia
    Glad you asked about the Gas-giants! I totally forgot to mention, that the low-opacity Planets behind them are depicting the original size compared to the other planets
    Ok! I thought it might be something like that. Good idea!

I altered the grid a bit, does it look better now?
    Yep! It looks just fine now .

I also made some subtle labels in the style of the ones on your Aarklash-in-space map, hope you are ok with it? They look so nice, i couldn't resist... Now the starfield isn't looking so empty anymore, as chick rightly pointed out.
    Completely! Rachmaninov and Prokofiev belts, cool names !

And well, i reworked the planet (again... )
    Successfully!

Hello fellow cartographers,
    i haven't been around too much lately, but i wanted to show you the latest progress of my space-archaeology-map:

Name:	space_archaeology_wip8.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	73677

I'm not sure but some parts of the map seem not fit together too well... maybe it's because i was working only every now and then on the map the last weeks. I actually hesitate to call it "finished" and would love to hear what you think about it.

Cheers,
    AL

Looks great Abu.
    I couldn't say what else you might need. I think it looks wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Looks great Abu.
    I couldn't say what else you might need. I think it looks wonderful.
    Thank you J.Edward, glad you like it.
    My first "trip to space" (-mapping) has been a lot of fun, but seeing many of you guys heading towards middle-earth, and doing wonderful work there, makes my fingers itchy and i might need a dose of good-old fantasy pretty soon

My pleasure Abu.
    Maybe once I'm done with ME I have to trip out to space. I have some unfinished domed cities on other planets to complete.
    I'd love for you to get in on the whole ME thing too.

I concur, it looks great Abu. The Dovahkiin font is a very nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I concur, it looks great Abu. The Dovahkiin font is a very nice touch.
    Thank you Ilanthar, as stated already, your fantastic space-maps (which i discovered only recently in your album) have been a great inspiration for this.
    Didn't know that the font is from Skyrim (i haven't played it, only Morrowind back then ). I downloaded it as "Dragon Alphabet" and it reminded me of the sumerian cuneiform script, which i thought might fit with the archaeological theme of the map.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast