Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Printing your maps + Donations

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyartus View Post
    Ian, it looks like your project is starting out on the right foot!

One quick question--what is the quality of the paper you have selected to make the prints? I would imagine that an archival paper might be relatively expensive, but it looks like the paper you've selected is still relatively sturdy. You're choice to reproduce the images with a larger "parchment" effect framing them is quite beautiful and adds a sense of legitimacy, depth, and age to the cartography that is very complimentary to the map itself. Lovely! I hope your patrons will find your collection fascinating and inspiring!
    Very kind words, thank you!

As for the paper quality, I would have liked to produce them on finer stuff but 180gsm Matt non-laminated paper was the most cost effective solution.

The parchment effect was made by me. I used to do a lot of texture work for video game modifications, so I've a lot of experience in that area. I may actually trim them all off as I originally made them simply as a way of ensuring that the maps themselves would not be encroached upon during the cutter and bleed process. Obviously these boarders are not part of the original works (which are not produced in your typical A3, A2 or A1 sizes) so I may trim them off to give a better representation of the original maps. If people like them however and don't mind them as a boarder I'm happy to keep them.

If you or anyone else you know has produced any work that you feel may be suitable for the collection please message me. I can't guarantee that I will take everything that is offered however as I'm having to exercise quality control in order to keep the finances of the project in check.

Best wishes and keep up the good work everyone!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this is great and something ive often wondered about myself. ill be sending you a PM later on

Just a quick note to say that I received the second batch of prints a little while ago and I'm not putting together the third batch. If any users have any maps they think may work as part of the project please contact me (I'm happy to receive new works from those who have previously donated as well). Additionally if any of you know any peers who may be interested yet unaware of the project please direct their attention this way.

Best wishes and thank you so much once again to everyone who has generously given to the project, its been a humbling experience.

- Ian

Hiya everyone,

I'm sorry and a little embarrassed to be bringing this thread back to life after such a long time. However, after a resolving various personal issues that took my focus away, I was considering reinvigorating this initiative and was curious if there would still be any interest from guild members.

Again I'm very sorry for the huge gap in posts. If there is no interest in the project or the revival of this thread is an issue I totally understand and once again offer my apologies.

Best wishes,

Ian

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i was wondering what had happened to this! If you think any of my maps are up to the job (most of them are at an A3 size at 300 dpi resolution) please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    i was wondering what had happened to this! If you think any of my maps are up to the job (most of them are at an A3 size at 300 dpi resolution) please let me know
    Hiya,

I'll certainly take a look! *takes a look* I think many of these would do very nicely. I think I'll probably wait until I have a better gauge for if there is interest in the community for restarting the project, but do feel free to send me a PM.

More generally I should say to everyone that as before I'll probably be exercising some degree of quality control (mainly to keep our printing costs down - sorry). I apologise in advance for any offers I don't take up, I truly mean no offence.

Also I should also make everyone aware that i'm still very much employed at the Cambridge University Library Map Department. You can find me (Ian Pittock) listed on the following page (at the bottom):http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/collections...ontact-details.

Also Please feel free to see the main post for further details or of course send me a PM.

Best wishes,

Ian

By Vorropohaiah
    If you think any of my maps are up to the job (most of them are at an A3 size at 300 dpi resolution) please let me know
    Well, ditto .

Some of mine might be at the right size. You can check my portfolio in my signature if you fancy. Great idea BTW

The first time you mentioned this idea I said I'd be interested. I'm glad you're planning to reinvigorate it, as I'm still interested.

Let me know if my work is suitable. I'm afraid I might not be able to reply very often, though, because today I have returned to university and will probably be *very* busy in the next few months.

Wingshaw
    (formerly TheHoarseWhisperer )

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Every once in a while I wonder whatever happened to this project. I know I had sent you a couple maps years ago but then things sort of got quiet.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123