Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenoarchaeological Space Mission to Planet Miner

Post Xenoarchaeological Space Mission to Planet Miner

Saving it from getting sucked into a black hole, i decided to better post the map here as finished

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	space_archaeology_wip8.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	73817

You can find the WIP-thread --> here
    It was my first attempt at space-mapping, inspired by Ilanthar's wonderful "Aarklash in space" map. It was a lot of fun and in the process i not only learned a lot of new stuff about "space" and the wide genre of sci-fi but also about the good old gimp. I tried to give it a bit of an "retro-sci-fi" touch... not sure if it was successful...
    The map is actually made of four maps each depicting different "zoom levels".

- The background depicts the "Porocheck Star-Cluster" and two sectors the crew of the I.S.S. Ibn Khaldoun had to pass on their way to planet miner, starting from the hyperspace jump-knot at the Bakhtin-Outpost.

- Second is the planetary System of the Star Boas in the Malinowski Sector.

- Third is the Planet Miner itself

- Fourth is the planetary surface, where a vanguard mission under Ernst Warburg, leaving the Sun System two years before, established a base camp and started to dig...

Some lore i already posted in the WIP thread
    The archeological mission in the Boas System is led by Prof. Dr. Dr. Klaus Bohrenheimer. As a young assistant he was a member of the legendary "Laika Mission" under Major Porocheck, who accomplished the first successful space-jump and thereby opened up a new chapter in history. It seems that Bohrenheimer brought something mysterious back from that mission and his further research urged him to go back to the Malinowski Sector.
    But the quirky Prof. Bohrenheimer had some trouble raising funds for his new mission, and had to accept the funding of the IASA (Independent Association for Space Archaeology), a somewhat dubious organization full of "hobby archaeologists" and conspiracy nuts. Nonetheless he's sure under Miner's Sand he'll find something of enormous importance for the whole universe...

Cheers,
    Abu Lafia

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Excelent map!. I love sci-fi maps and I am always amazed by them!

Lovely work Abu!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wonderfull map! Great work!

This is awesome! Space maps aren't really my think, but I love the colour palette you've chosen and all the little details you've added in. Great job.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Wonderfull map! Great work!
    Thanks a lot Domino, i'm glad you like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is awesome! Space maps aren't really my think, but I love the colour palette you've chosen and all the little details you've added in. Great job.
    Thank you ChickPea. Great that it is liked even by "non-space-map-cartographers" 8D Btw, you should try it yourself if you find the time. Since i know you like to go creative, "space" might be a good place for it...

Good work on this Abu! I really like the way you designed it : it actually feels like if you're holding a tablet pc with the map displayed on it . And the idea of an archeological mission is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Good work on this Abu! I really like the way you designed it : it actually feels like if you're holding a tablet pc with the map displayed on it . And the idea of an archeological mission is excellent.
    Thank you Ilanthar for all the encouraging feedback during the process! I'm glad that it had the effect i somewhat intended...although i have to admit that while working on the frame, i always had something between these things in mind :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transporterconsole23rdc.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	73846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tng_engineering-8-awesome-facts-about-star-trek-the-next-generation-jpeg-205979.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	73844

Oh, nice map! I particularly like the hexagon mesh and the beveled insignia in the bottom left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast