Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Inhabitants of the world. Any need for illustrations?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool! Reminds me a bit of the lead singer from the cartoon Metalocalypse.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nathan Explosion
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very cool character and background! The shield looks awesome
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Name: Mortimer Grabdur
    Race: Dwarf

Mortimer is a deer hunter. He is one of the best hunters in a big area that begins from Thrub in the west goes all the way into Mullion in the north and Monkton Monastery in the south. He is a close friend of count Ludwig Morton - the ruler of Morton. He spends most of the year in the swamps and forests - mostly alone - and perhaps a month or two of every year he stays in Morton. The deers are not always plentiful and Mortimer also avoids hunting when the animals have their breeding time at hand or the young ones to feed.

As an experienced hunter Mortimer also personally knows pretty much all the other regulars who travel through the woods and swamps - hunters, mercenaries, rangers, outlaws and such. Even some lizardmen some of whom he knows personally although their means of communication is limited to grunting signalling with hands. He has no beef with anyone unless he gets attacked first. Mortimer is thus an important source of information in the affairs of swamps and forests. He knows where big game is plentiful, which rivers are swarming with salmon, where lizardmen tribes have their camps placed, what valleys outlawed bandits call home and even where to find edibile berries, healing herbs and fresh water. This information is also hard to get: one would have to first find Mortimer and then convince him to give up that information. Mortimer is careful with what he speaks (and to whom) and avoids giving away too much or too detailed information. He knows that the only way he can fully focus in his profession as a deer hunter is to keep the number of enemies as low as possible. And this is best achieved by not ratting out to strangers.

Mortimer is a no-nonsense kind of pragmatist. He doesn't much understand the elaboracies of complex planning and rather tries to keep things simple and straightforward. He gets bored easily if forced to sit still for even short periods of time and is a notoriously bad listener. One story in Morton tells how Mortimer once fell asleep during a feast which count Ludwig Morton was kind enough to offer to a few dozen of his friends. The guests coerced Ludwig into retelling how Morton city guardmen's (lead by the count himself, to boot!) dealt with a giant rat infestation that bothered the city for several months. Before the story was halfway through, a loud and hearty snoring echoed in the feasting hall and forced Ludwig Morton to raise his voice to make himself heard over the sleeping Mortimer.

### PIC ###
    Last edited by 12rounds; 10-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Great stuff as always, but I do have a question regarding Mortimer. Is there a reason you have the bolt points sticking up?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Maybe he isn't wearing a quiver, but some kind of belt? Wouldn't want the points sticking down then. Although he should watch his head also at the moment
    Maybe this guy is just crazy...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Yeah well ... I was thinking about a rigid carrying case for 6 bolts. It's attached to the shoulder strap. Because we're talking about a heavy crossbow, it doesn't matter how much time it would take to reach the bolts - most of the time reloading is going to go cocking the crossbow anyway. In all fairness he could have the bolts hidden in a bag, but I thought this just looked more cool.

Blog Entries

Nice one Kimmo, I think this character would be just the sort to be in and around Morton. I was rolling up a 4e Dwarf and wanted a heavy crossbow. This character would have been perfect. 'Would have been' and not 'is' because there is no heavy crossbow in 4e any more. I always like them too. Anyway, super character pic.

Quote Originally Posted by 12rounds View Post
    Yeah well ... I was thinking about a rigid carrying case for 6 bolts. It's attached to the shoulder strap. Because we're talking about a heavy crossbow, it doesn't matter how much time it would take to reach the bolts - most of the time reloading is going to go cocking the crossbow anyway. In all fairness he could have the bolts hidden in a bag, but I thought this just looked more cool.
    Whatever the reason, having the sharp ends pointing out is just crazy unless he intends to somehow use that configuration as part of some sort of demented charge attack where he lowers his head at the last second and tries to stab his target with the bolts.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Oh man... these bolts sticking up. It reminds me of a guy who put a knife down his belt and jumped a fence. He stabbed himself in the process and bled to death...
    That was nasty!

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast