Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Inhabitants of the world. Any need for illustrations?

I agree with RedRobes... that's a shiney little token.
    *Gets visuals of Hong Kong action films*
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Name: Lucius Valonia
    Race: Human

Formerly a general of the smallish military forces of Karthis, general Valonia fell into severe arguments with the city-state's new ruler. The arguments were mainly fuelled by Lucius' insistence to grow Karthis' military presence in the area. Lucius believes that unstable times are ahead and that Karthians should wake up and stop smelling the roses. Lucius wanted to enhance Karthis' military by amping up all the aspects of the armed forces, forcing a mandatory military service time to all male Karthians and to set clearly defined borders (including peripheral forts and outposts) that the city-state will defend with vigilance and vigor. The soldiers in Karthis are all skilled and honoured professionals, but Lucius thinks there are simply not enough of them to meet the challenges of tomorrow which eventually need these professionals of violence.

Lucius was eventually politically crushed over the course of three years and none of his ideas were taken seriously enough by the civil rulers. The mind-set in the city-state is that the skilled mercenary groups present in the city are enough of a military presence. After a time general Valonia found himself time and time again in bitter arguments and one day after a heated discussion with the leader of the city guardsmen - a man blindly loyal to the civil rulers - he simply announced his retirement, packed his belongings and left Karthis.

He rode straight to Warder Keep where he met several men who he had both fought against and fought with in the past. And of course he knew Artor Cambori very well too. The Warders were commonly used by Karthis to accomplish several semi-military tasks in and around Karthis. And many times Lucius was the final link in the hiring of these mercenaries.

Artor didn't just embrace Lucius to be one of his mercenaries. He thought that Lucius had too much political baggage and too much enemies and too much proudness to become one The Warders. After a night involving much drunken shenanigans, they ended up drawing their swords in disagreement. Other Warders stopped the men and threw Lucius out of the keep. But Lucius had made up his mind ... he was to become one of The Warders. He set up a camp about half a mile away from the keep. He then marched to the keep each and every day to ask for a chance to become one of the mercenaries. After refusing Lucius for 99 times, Artor changed his mind and Lucius was accepted.

That was 5 years ago. Since that time Karthis has been needing the services of The Warders in alarmingly growing frequency.

### PIC ###
    Last edited by 12rounds; 06-20-2016 at 02:51 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The coloring on this is quite nice - dramatic lighting, grungy brushwork for the background...good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hate to meet him in a dark alley.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Glad you're still around 12rounds. I've got a couple requests for you.

Lucious is amazing, btw.

-IG

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm still around, but life has been more hectic recently so I've had less spare time to spend for these. Tons of ideas, though.

Name: Dominique Atel
    Race: Human

As a pathmage of some reputation, Groam has been a good source of income for Dominique. She has helped countless caravans and small groups in finding their way out of the plague-ridden areas and in relative safety for that matter. Dominique settled to Udynaesses a long time ago after a very lucrative job of helping a wealthy, but somewhat mysterious, extended family of some 20 persons to safety via the port of Udynaesses.

Since moving to Udynaesses, Dominique has specialized in creating and selling magical wardings. Her repertoire includes warding stones, warding crystals, warding jewelry and warding clothing items. She is not actively selling her stuff, but instead has a small network of known associates who refer seekers of stuff items to her. She is also not doing it for the money any more - she has plenty of that to go around already. That fact also gives her justification to refuse certain wardings and some other tasks pathmages are sometimes requested to do.

Dominique's warding stones are very popular among certain groups. Local guides, mercenary bands, hunters and such buy the bulk of Dominique's warding stones. Stories abound that Dominique's warding stones against for example wild animals work easily a fortnight even if used every night to protect a camping site.

### PIC ###
    Last edited by 12rounds; 10-28-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Just wow.. I love her animalskin dresss (leopard right? ^^") she really looks like a person that could excist. Maybe theres a story to that stone (i'm new to this forum you see), but if not I'd like it to be all shinygreen and maybe color in som hard green light on her..? Keep it comin!

I missed your updates 12rounds, my life has been a bit hectic too
    Glad you are still visiting us and I still love your work. All thumbs up!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast