Thread: Lake House

Wip Lake House

Yesterday I did Jonathan Roberts' tutorial from his website FANTASTIC MAP called HOW TO DRAW A MAP now I'm attempting it on a map for a friend who has a Lake House. Here is the initial Line Work.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SprunkElkLake_01.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	959.0 KB 
ID:	76684

Color added, not happy, forest way too blotchy, will have to work on that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SprunkElkLake_02.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	76696

I see at some places in the forest you used a hard brush, you should avoid that because it is really visible, also some forest borders are colored over with the color meaning you probably switched between the layers and forgot to switch back. If you are following the said tutorial try to make the light shade distinction to give your forest depth, no need for many different colors.

On the other hand the style works well on the ground but also you colored over some terrain lines.

But these are all minor/reparable things, the map looks nice and you are definitely getting something out of it.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Thanks Barek for the comments and taking the time to look at it, I knew I had problems.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Oh this is really cool. You keep bringing new subjects which are really fun to see.

With the forest were you using the colour dynamics settings on your brush? I really like the texture I can get from having a mix of colours come out, but a lot of those settings I keep really low. Just in case it's useful, here are the settings I use:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 9.25.16 AM.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	76751

I also tend to use two colours that are very close in value. I'll select the foreground colour and then derive the background colour from it by a small step. Another thing that I've been trying lately is to use the above settings and a large brush (maybe 1/10 the image size) to lay in backgrounds and then go over it again with a few random strokes and a slightly smaller brush with opacity set to 20%.

My goal is to get some interesting background texture to work with, without being too obvious. Low contrast subliminal subtlety.

I'm looking forward to seeing your type treatment on this, you're my go to expert now

cheers,
    Meshon

Hey thanks for the setting samples, this is a new technique so much to learn, I'd definitely try these as soon as I can get away from work! Thanks. Glad to be your go to on type, let me know if your ever looking for a particular style or something.