Not much of an update, but i'm trying to get those things right first, so :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP_6.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	77070

Tweaked colours and shading a bit on forest, remade some lines to remove the more angular/jaggy lines.
Tried different things with roads, my problem being that I want it to pop out a bit and be readable easily (it is a map after all), but as Max pointed out the "digital effect" look clashes with the hand-drawn one.
This version has a smaller stroke with slightly feathered borders, instead of a bevel effect I tried a really subtle inner-shadow effect. I've also tweaked the mask on roads (I added it last version to make the roads slightly darker/brighter depending on elevation).
I'm also thinking once elements are added to the map and a large portion of it is filled with buildings/blocks/etc the roads will clash a lot less.

Thanks a ton guys, this is why working while updating a thread on this forum is great, really quick feedback from some of the best cartographers
I'm slowly developing a kinda style and method, i'm excited to work on another region map next and try better things (my Brevoy region map kinda sucks when I look at it now!), or maybe try a really low-scale map, like a building, a manor, a street, we'll see.