Greetings!

I'm running GIMP 2.8.14, though I could be persuaded to try out Paint.NET.

I'm a beginner.

How I make my maps is I draw the wall outlines on a grid in black and white, then texture with CGTexture.com textures (mainly), then use different filters like drop shadow and such. After that, I add objects from the Dundjinni forums. Last, I try to get in there and detail however I'm able. That's it in a nutshell.

Well, I "built" some cabinets and bookshelves and cupboards and such just using the square/circle select and the drop shadow filter, basically, but they seem all seem to be the same "height."

I want the left-most cabinet and the bookshelf, which is just to the left of the head of the bed, to appear much taller than the wizard's study, the bed, and the trunk/chest.

I thought about extending the shadow of the taller objects, but it didn't quite look right to me. I might mess with that a little more, but I thought I'd ask here for advice before wearing myself out.

However, I'm very inexperienced. Sometimes on this forum, I get answers that are so truncated that they are of little use to me. "Just do a reverse backflipamajigger on it," means nothing to me. "Click on this up at the top of GIMP, then click on this filter, then set the one field to this. See how that looks," would be a big service. Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant.

Thanks a lot for all the help and advice! :-)