Thread: New User PM Warning

Default New User PM Warning

I wanted to mention the fact the new user PM warning, where it says I can't send private messages until I have 5 posts, is extremely annoying. I'm not pointing this out because I won't quickly post here five times - I'm reading quite a bit and growing increasingly interested in the community. It's just that at times (on mobile) the alert covers half the page and I can easily see how this would discourage many "lurkers" from wanting to log in at all. With all the various UI bars and menus stacking up it's almost annoying to read. Besides, why would we need to know that at all? Who sends PMs before even posting 5 times? Couldn't you just pull up the message when they try to send one?

I know it's not a big issue, it's just an easily preventable one.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The 5 posts constraint is mainly to avoid spammers on this forum. It's not that a big deal to post 5 times, no? Just go on the finished thread section , or the Cartographer's Choice section and post a couple of comments on the maps you like and you're done...Or just reply to this post and you'll reach the 5 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dwalus View Post
    I wanted to mention the fact the new user PM warning, where it says I can't send private messages until I have 5 posts, is extremely annoying. I'm not pointing this out because I won't quickly post here five times - I'm reading quite a bit and growing increasingly interested in the community. It's just that at times (on mobile) the alert covers half the page and I can easily see how this would discourage many "lurkers" from wanting to log in at all. With all the various UI bars and menus stacking up it's almost annoying to read. Besides, why would we need to know that at all? Who sends PMs before even posting 5 times? Couldn't you just pull up the message when they try to send one?

I know it's not a big issue, it's just an easily preventable one.
    As Max said, it's primarily about stopping spammers. It's perhaps a minor annoyance when you first join the forums, but compare that to being constantly spammed by fake users? Also, there are occasions when people would like to send PMs when they've only posted once (for example, people who sign up to commission a map). We need to emphasise to those users that they can't use the messaging system yet.

You only need one more post, then it'll be gone. Welcome to the Guild!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I don't think the complaint is about the limit, but about the warning popping up even when it isn't strictly warranted and that it's not mobile-friendly. It pops up at log-in? I've never tried to look at the site on mobile; has it been optimized for that format at all?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

personally the content on this site dose NOT lend to viewing on your telephone

i am not a Luddite BUT !!!!
    just a long tome computer user from the 1980's -- well 1978 really ,apple-2 and ibm 8080 days

some sites are MEANT to be used on a telephone , this site is NOT one of those
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I have to say that I found the warning annoying even on my laptop since the screen is only 900px tall. I know you're likely dealing with the limitations of the forum software though.

Guild Novice

A simple solution for this problem is to give members the option of toggling the display of this warning. Much like sections of the forum/the sidebar, a small button to make it go away would work great.