Thread: Looking for Paper Recommendations (For Printing)

Question Looking for Paper Recommendations (For Printing)

Greetings cartographers,

I'm looking for the best paper to print a map on and am wondering if any of you have any recommendations?

I have done a test print through Printed.com on Hahnemühle German Etching, a paper I love and which I think looks great. However, I am needing a paper that can be rolled without any loss of quality, since my map is size A2. The German Etching paper is a wonderfully textured paper, but it weighs at 310gsm, so is not rolled easily. I have considered printing on canvas, but this is obviously a much pricier version. Since I am in the UK, I'm looking for UK based companies to cut down on cost.

What has worked best for you, and won't cost me my soul? xD

Is rolling important to you? If you need something that can be repeatedly rerolled without damage, you could print on fabric other than canvas. You can get anything printed on any fabric these days. It wouldn't have the same tooth as paper, but if you're gaming and repeatedly putting a map down and then away, I do feel like you're going to get the best mileage from a fabric based map. Or something plastic covered. If you just want a beefy print that you can ship, I'm feeling like you can get away with 215gsm.... that's typically a business card weight... or even 175gsm, which is more like card stock. It's no surprise that you can't really roll 310gsm paper. That's real special paper. I'd only get paper like that if I was proudly displaying something on my wall. Hard to crease, but a crease would just ruin it. If you want to stick with the printer you selected, I would switch to the Indoor Poster product, and select the Satin finish so you can get a weight of 190gsm or 235gsm. Then if you need to keep it safe and make it sturdier for gaming you can have it laminated.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Is rolling important to you? If you need something that can be repeatedly rerolled without damage, you could print on fabric other than canvas. You can get anything printed on any fabric these days. It wouldn't have the same tooth as paper, but if you're gaming and repeatedly putting a map down and then away, I do feel like you're going to get the best mileage from a fabric based map. Or something plastic covered. If you just want a beefy print that you can ship, I'm feeling like you can get away with 215gsm.... that's typically a business card weight... or even 175gsm, which is more like card stock. It's no surprise that you can't really roll 310gsm paper. That's real special paper. I'd only get paper like that if I was proudly displaying something on my wall. Hard to crease, but a crease would just ruin it. If you want to stick with the printer you selected, I would switch to the Indoor Poster product, and select the Satin finish so you can get a weight of 190gsm or 235gsm. Then if you need to keep it safe and make it sturdier for gaming you can have it laminated.
    Hey, thanks for your reply! I should've added an edit yesterday because I went ahead with the Indoor poster product like you've said, but I'm a little anxious about it now as I went for the uncoated 250gsm. Rolling is key for this map as it's an art print I'll be selling, and already have the tubes to send them in. I'm thinking I'll still check out the printing onto fabric though as that could be a good version to have available! Thanks again!

Yeah... I'm gonna bet that's going to be too stiff to roll still, but, you might get lucky and it'll be just at the right weight for your needs! Fingers crossed! Honestly the laminate would probably make it tricky to roll too, but if it does it'll stay uncreased without serious attempts to damage it. If it's an art print, a poster weight will do nicely, people just put them in binders or on walls. Quite a lot of the prints I own just remain in a plastic case so they stay nice. They don't have to be the heftiest if it's for art and not for gameplay.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Yeah... I'm gonna bet that's going to be too stiff to roll still, but, you might get lucky and it'll be just at the right weight for your needs! Fingers crossed! Honestly the laminate would probably make it tricky to roll too, but if it does it'll stay uncreased without serious attempts to damage it. If it's an art print, a poster weight will do nicely, people just put them in binders or on walls. Quite a lot of the prints I own just remain in a plastic case so they stay nice. They don't have to be the heftiest if it's for art and not for gameplay.
    Good news! It worked alright! Although I'll have to wait to hear if it rolled out and flattened okay..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rolledmap.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	124995

Nice! Hope it worked out on the user's end! It's a great looking package.