Thread: WIP -- The Continent of MYRR

Map WIP -- The Continent of MYRR

Hello fellow Cartographers!

Long time no posting for me. I blame my three year old and my slow progress towards getting an education degree while working.

In any case, attached is a WIP of a continent for a friend's RPG world that he has recently put on Kickstarter.

I sampled the Mountain and Hill images from resources provided by members of this site, I believe. The trick is that I don't remember who made them. I would like to get permission and give credit to use them -- or I can of course delete them and put my own take on mountains and hills if that is not possible.

I am not sure if any royalties are appropriate for use of those images, but if the creators of them let me know, I will pass that on to my friend.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome -- but I am aware that the background texture has some artifacts from the original file that was sent to me as a template...

Phil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent-of-Myrr-Mountains.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	544.1 KB 
ID:	77977

An update using some extra colours and forest textures.

Name:	Continent-of-Myrr-Forests.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	539.2 KB 
ID:	78067

Guild Novice

Good work,
    Looks good it reminds me of a board game i played once, i know its still in progress but a few questions are you going to put a few more details in it because in my opinon it would look a bit to empty if there are just these few castles.
    So good work and i hope to see the finished one

Hey, I really like your color choices and how the paper is rendered on the wood background.

Attachment 78317

I think I tracked down the fellow who made all the mapping elements I used: Ramah!

I had downloaded brushes that he shared in the past without labeling them.

Ramah is awesome. Check out his work: http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=30173
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent-of-Myrr-Forests.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	539.2 KB 
ID:	78319  

Name:	Continent-of-Myrr-TouchedUp.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	550.6 KB 
ID:	78858

Attached is my latest work. I mean to add villages, roads, and rivers.

The map is for this setting a friend created for 5th Edition D&D: http://worldofmyrr.com/
    Last edited by philipstephen; 01-07-2016 at 04:57 AM.

Name:	Continent-of-Myrr-Scale.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	79051

This is my latest work. Any feedback before I finalize this for a deadline of Friday the 15th is appreciated. Critiques especially.

Phil

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hi Philip! Or Stephen... I like this! Your mountains and forests blend well with the landmass, your sea has a nice colour, I like what you did with the border (the wooden board, the sword - although the two don't seem to be of the same scale). I don't see any immediate river mistakes, so you're good on that one too.

Just two remarks, relatively easy to fix.

One: the icons you use have a white stroke around them, which makes them pop out of the map instead of blending in. It's a choice not everyone would approve, but I personally very much like it.The only issue I sea is: the stroke around the churches (villages?) is far thicker than the one around the castles (cities?). This is a bit confusing, as if you want to convey the message the former are more important than the latter. Also, it gives the impression the castles are just badly blended in with the background instead of intentionally standing out. This can be fixed by just thickening the white stroke around the castles until they're just as thick as around the churches. Would look great too!

Two: I notice your rivers kinda run OVER the trees and the roads instead of beneath/among them. The roads seem to tunnel under them, which is unlikely but possible, but the trees... it just confuses me. Maybe I'm easily confused, who knows! But it gives the impression your rivers float, while they should be firmly anchored in the terrain, of course. It might be a simple issue of wrongly arranged layers in your editing programme. So fixing this is a two-step process. 1: move the rivers layer below the forests and roads layers, and 2: make sure none of your trees have their feet in the middle of a river - those trees will have to be erased or moved to the river bank.

All in all a great map, with just two little issues to be taken care off! Very well done, Philip/Stephen!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 01-14-2016 at 06:18 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thank you for your feedback.

Attached is my latest work, which does not address your points, but I will try to tackle them in my next update.

PhilClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent-of-Myrr-MoreTowns.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	79168

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

This is shaping up nicely. I like the changes you made!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!