Thread: Dayeimbe World Map

Wip Dayeimbe World Map

My first post on this forum. Be kind.

This is quite a large map for a collaborative worldbuilding project that I'm making the map for. I was given a rough model for the world, so the locations of many of the features were decided by the group.

I'd say I'm, maybe, 75% done. I'd love some feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	5.21 MB 
ID:	78364

Also, I've used a bunch of tutorials found here and elsewhere. I don't really remember where they all are, and they've all sort of merged into my own processes, but it seems appropriate to say thanks to everyone who has taken time to put together a tutorial for all kinds of stuff. You've been a tremendous help.

Special thanks to fantasticmaps, who I'm guessing is on this forum (although I don't know how to link to users, so I've linked to his website). I've used his tutorial for the mountains, which is my favorite part.

Banned User

Those really are Excellent mountains!! Shape and color are great The forests could use some work but for a first map, you're doing a splendid job.

I might suggest take the heavy waveline texture off the water, or lessen/fade it out a bit. You have nice texture without it, and the coastal waves will help define what is water and what is land, so it's not really needed.

I'm looking forward to where you take this!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Those really are Excellent mountains!! Shape and color are great The forests could use some work but for a first map, you're doing a splendid job.

I might suggest take the heavy waveline texture off the water, or lessen/fade it out a bit. You have nice texture without it, and the coastal waves will help define what is water and what is land, so it's not really needed.

I'm looking forward to where you take this!
    Thanks, Chick. I was actually working on the waveline as I was posting this, and have a much better result now.

I also agree about the forests. They're my least favorite component at the moment. I have another technique that fits much better with the tone of the map, but it also takes 10x longer to do. I'll probably go back and do the preferred technique after I finish the map for the project, as I've already kept the group waiting too long for the world map.

I really appreciate the feedback!

Update:

I've adjusted some of the details of the waveline in the oceans, so that it's not too busy. I've also decided to ditch the lazy forests in favor of something more satisfying. This forest technique still needs more detail... shading, highlights, and so forth. But, it definitely fits the map better. There's only one little forest section done, in the upper right of the map. I haven't had as much time to work on it lately as I'd hoped.

Name:	Dayeimbe WIP.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	78781

I've added a few swamp areas, and the icons for all the cities, towns, and castles. Those will probably be re-drawn to more accurately reflect the flavor of each major city, once those have been established. I've also added the name of the map, but it certainly isn't finished. Just a placeholder of sorts.

For the record, this is the generated map I was given to work from, so I'm trying to do a bit of translation.

Name:	Dayeimbe World Map Original.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	78782
    Last edited by whipstache; 01-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.

I'm not particularly fond of using both the coastline strokes and the wavelines textures...but it might be just me.

Your mountains are very interesting and while zoomed out they're superb but when zoomed in I believe the lines might be a tad too wide...did you try a bit thinner lines version? Just wondering...

The blur on the rivers kinda disconnects them from the rest of the map, imo. Not sure what to suggest, though...sorry.

I really like the color palette!

Really nice work so far!
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Thanks for the feedback, TK. I'm definitely still learning... and one of the skills I really need to develop is scaling back and editing myself. My tendency (and I think the general tendency of new designers) is to say "here's a cool technique. throw it in!" Obviously, that doesn't always produce the best results.

Much appreciated.

Alright, so here's where I'm at currently with this project.

Name:	Dayeimbe WIP2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	79062

I'm still planning to go back and redo the forests. It's just such a huge map that it's taking longer than I hoped.
    Here you can see the beginning of the forest work in the upper right of the map.

Name:	Dayeimbe WIP2.1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	79063

I'd like some feedback on the coastal water lines. In the first, I've got more of the wave action happening, while in the second it's a little more subtle with the rings. Which do you like better? And, why?

Thanks again for all your feedback and help. I find this forum both super inspirational and quite intimidating.
    whipstache.com

Find my design work at whipstache.com