Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Mountains - a pilot video tutorial

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Tutorial Drawing Mountains - a pilot video tutorial

This will be my first tutorial post, with more to come.

I'm looking for feedback from the community. Is this valuable? Does the video format work? My current plan is to have many small episodes instead of larger ones. This clocks in around 12 minutes. Is that too long?

Any annoying habits I should cut down on? (Besides zooming and panning the screen too much--I'll try to do less of that, it's a habit from my own workflow)

I know that PDF and HTML tutorial are good, and they're the norm. I'll be producing those as well, I think. Would you prefer video tutorials, or readable ones?

Let me know what you think. All constructive comments are welcome.

http://youtu.be/cOP_vobSgq4
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice job! Clear, concise, easy to understand. Also, you've got a mellow DJ voice; I can easily imagine you telling us how to draw 'happy little trees'.

Oh lovely. Good work, I will have a lookout for more from you – it was very interesting.

Now feedback. The only thing bothering me is that it feels like the guide is starting somewhere in the middle. If I was a beginner at PS (which I am in a sense) then trying to follow this guide would probably irritate me. First, I would be confused why my brush strokes looks nothing like yours (I still have no clue how people make the ends of computer brushstrokes more narrow). Like what settings do you use? For some this might be unnecessary information, but not for everyone. For a larger viewership you could either add a longer sequence where you explain your tools, or refer to another video where you explain your tools more thoroughly and just quickly tell the viewer what you are using. Same goes with incorporating textures.

It's like the arts and crafts shows for little kids. We all knew how the scissor looks, we all knew how to use it, but they sure as hell always showed us the scissor and how it works before they began. Same goes with adult guides, however, the trick is to incorporate this stuff without making the audience feel silly

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Great video and a lots of tips I'll use for sure ! As tainotim also some details on how to make settings right would be awesome !
    Eager to see the next video ! 👏👏

Great Tutorial xpian, would love to know what tools you use, your lines are so nice and its great to draw directly on the computer screen, I use a Wacom and you draw on a tablet while the drawing appears on the screen, not direct. Would love to have what you use.

Your video is really detailed on how to draw a mountain and you touch on some great points. Do more, I want to see one on forest. Have some reps -- sorry couldn't rep you again so soon, I'll rep later when I can, since this is a great video.
    Last edited by snodsy; 01-07-2016 at 05:51 AM. Reason: couldn't rep

Banned User

Christian, it's great! It's clear, smooth flow, well-spoken, organized, and just the right length.

I do agree that the tools you use make this particular technique look easy, whereas someone less familiar or using different tools might find a different style or workflow works better, so I hope future videos address the tools and settings you use in a general way that anyone can do, even if they don't have the advanced tablets. Just as an example, I've tried your dot dot dot to end the lines, but I've found I have to go back and do it as a secondary pass using a different brush setting.

A superb job with the content of the video as well as the production of it!! Rated 5 stars!!

Can only echo the others, really good job xpian! As i wrote, i'm a huge admirer of your linework so it's fantastic to get a glimpse into your workflow. I particularily like the way you describe the rationale behind the steps and it's well understandable. I'm happy that i have a map bare of mountains flying around on my harddrive, to give it a try soon. ... oh and btw. thanks a lot for the vote!
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 01-07-2016 at 09:04 AM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

tainotim makes a good point I think. Perhaps another video just explaining your tools and basic brush settings might be worthwhile. I know when I watch tutorial videos one of my first questions is "So what brush settings are you using?"

Still, it's a great video and I think people will find it very useful!
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Great feedback, people! I think I had just assumed that the tools and settings would be "generic" enough that I wouldn't have to mention them. But of course, I'd be wanting the same details you're all wanting if I was watching this process being done by someone else on a platform I was not using.

I'll definitely do a followup showing all my tools and settings. I'll also try to make the point that most of what I'm doing should be doable with a pen on a piece of paper, or with colored pencils, etc. I think it will be good to be both very specific about how I'm achieving the "line quality" it took me so long to get to (a line quality that is meant only to satisfy myself, and my stupidly picky need for "anti-aliased, but not TOO anti-aliased, and NOT fuzzy, but definitely not TOO blocky") and be generic enough in all the "theory" and "technique" processes that people will be able to abstract to their platform of choice. Manipulating your brushes in the app of your choice is a whole tutorial in and of itself! Or multiple tutorials...I can do those, and I think I will. The one I'm most qualified for is ProCreate, but I can say a lot about brush work in Photoshop, Manga Studio, and Illustrator as well.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Guild Novice

Gran tutorial, muchas gracias por compartir su tecnica y habilidades. Un saludo desde España Xpian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast