Thread: Hawkland and surrounding regions

Wip Hawkland and surrounding regions

It's still in the early stages right now, but this is a map I'm working on for a region called Hawkland. So far I'm mostly happy with the direction that it's taking, but input and critiques are welcome for sure!

The region's history is one deeply steeped in magic and the divine. This was the birthplace of humanity, long lost to them till about 200 years ago. There are only going to be a few settlements and cities, but lots of ruins and secrets waiting to be discovered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawkland-Map.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	78974

Hi there Dallimar. it's a bit difficult to see the finer details at the current image resolution, but from what I can tell it looks like you are off to a good start. Perhaps you could upload a higher res image on your next WIP update; that would better enable people to offer feedback.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

The maountains seem to flow very naturally, so I'd concur with arsheesh that you're off to a good start!

Wip

I'm working on coloring the map, to make the region feel more alive, and I've started painting in the forests with a new custom brush. Once I figure out how I'm going to do the forests (still not sure if this is what I want), or if I'm going to color the map, I'm going to start working on place markers. As requested here is a higher resolution image.

Thanks to Wired for their tutorial on making the brush preset.

Views:	36 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	79500

Hmmm. I would try not doing the variable size brush. Maybe use a fixed size. Paint in big trees, then go back and do slightly smaller ones for variety. The varying sizes from 0 to large looks strange. Those mountains are "rocking" though

Haha. I love word puns. Thanks Vhey. I'll give that a shot tonight, and I'll nail down where the forests will actually be placed. At the moment I'm kind of struggling with that.

Took Vhey's advice and made sure the trees are a consistent size, and started figuring out where I wanted them to go. I'm trying to suggest forests more than paint them all over the map, but I'm not sure how I feel about how these are coming out yet.

The Compass Rose was redone from scratch (the previous one was a placeholder till I knew what I wanted). The next update will include place names, and I'll begin working on icons for locations as well.

Views:	28 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	79522