Thread: [WIP] Learning process and Jawlas start

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Wip [WIP] Learning process and Jawlas start

Okay, so here's my very first run at things. It happens to be the base for an RPG setting I'll be using, but really I'm just practicing techniques here. If you would be so kind as to tear me up and point me in the right direction I'd be much obliged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jawlas.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	7.22 MB 
ID:	79121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jawlas_Kakush.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	79120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jawlas_Kakush1.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	79119

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Your first map doesn't look bad at all! If I should give some sort of critique, it would be about the shape/distribution of your landmasses, because you really seem on the right track graphically.

Your second and third maps seem rather undetailed at the moment, but I can see they depict the landmass in the west of your first map, just below the middle. The most prominent feature seems to be the circular lake surrounded by hills, but I'm not sure what exactly it is: a crater lake maybe? The river running out of it has this strange bifurcation that will certainly set off the river police, so... ye be warned. There are whole threads dedicated to the way a river should behave and the way it absolutely shouldn't, but in short: bifurcations are a big no-no.

Also, it's very difficult, and more than a bit unnatural, to draw the rivers first and then kinda force the mountains to conform with them. It's better to get the mountains in the most natural positions, and then let the rivers run their course. Quite literally.

In fact, terrain is the dominating factor that influences all others, so in theory you should start with the tectonics (the mountains, plains, troughs), THEN draw the rivers (and if necessary slightly adapt the terrain to account for erosion and sedimentation), and FINISH with the coastlines. But that would be titanic job. I've never seen anyone do that!

So I guess "coasts - mountains - rivers" is the way to go here
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks for the feedback, I'd love a bit of elaboration on the distribution/mass-shaping bit. I'm doing research into many things as I go along but it's always helpful to get a nudge in the right direction.

as for the second and third map the terrain I have in mind is giving me some pause. Yes the central feature is intended as a crater lake, one that I have to make a bit larger, and one of the only sources in an otherwise arid dessert region. I intend great swathes of rolling dunes for the region but I don't know how to ink that. Or in fact display it topographically aside from color.