Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Torfani

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Actually, the forest looks quite nice! Can't see the full detail here through Tapatalk (they have a lousy zoom function), but I like what I see.

My issue is rather with the mountains. While they look magnificent on their own (they do!), I'm a bit worried they don't fit in size-wise. Some look taller than the width of the islands, especially the ones on that narrow strip of an island to the NE. It gives the impression of a huge vertical ridge rising up from the foam. It's true that mountains on this type of map are symbols and not exact depictions of real mountains, but there's a limit to how exaggerated their size can be. The larger the area represented on the map, the smaller the mountains should be. Less is more!

But that aside, I'd like to repeat I love your mountains. I believe they'd be great on a regional map (they constantly remind me of the Dolomites, a region that would be gorgeous if you'd ever decide to map them with these mountains), but I think this map would benefit from smaller, more gently rising ones.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I like your forest much better, the outline is much cleaner now

Transition between teh mountain and land mass is a little harsh still, maybe add some transparency to the mountains or maybe duplicate the land mass layer and apply a layer - multiply, so it become more like the mountain base.

A couple rivers might look better if they fall behind the mountains and then reappear - for instance, the river 2 above the forest, if it ran behind the mountain and then reappeared it would look like it was behind the mountains better than it does now, it almost caps the mountain. (hope this makes since). The river should also be under the forest..

Cann't believe you use a mouse for this have some reps for that. coming along nicely.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Thanks Max! But please, don't restrain yourself : I need critics. Plus, my mouse and I, we can take any critic !
    Even if I'm drawing it by mouse, I could certainly use some guidance. I've done a different test with the forest, but I'm still not quite satisfied...
    Attachment 79307
    Well, actually you beat me to this and the new ones looks way better

Banned User

I don't know exactly how to explain this, but something about your mountains looks 2-dimensional, like the fake storefronts they use in movies with nothing behind them.

Love the coloring, though!

By Caenwyr
    I'm a bit worried they don't fit in size-wise. Some look taller than the width of the islands, especially the ones on that narrow strip of an island to the NE. It gives the impression of a huge vertical ridge rising up from the foam.
    Well, it was like this on the world map, maybe less "visible". I understand your point, but for those islands, it's quite adequate with history. The whole archipelago was a single land stroke by cataclysm and magic, sending a lot of it underwater.

By Snodsy
    Transition between teh mountain and land mass is a little harsh still, maybe add some transparency to the mountains or maybe duplicate the land mass layer and apply a layer - multiply, so it become more like the mountain base.
    A couple rivers might look better if they fall behind the mountains and then reappear - for instance, the river 2 above the forest, if it ran behind the mountain and then reappeared it would look like it was behind the mountains better than it does now, it almost caps the mountain. (hope this makes since). The river should also be under the forest..
    I'll work the transition where needed (where there's nothing but plain). For the rivers, I gave a try to the "under forest" style and corrected them a little.

Cann't believe you use a mouse for this have some reps for that. coming along nicely.
    Thanks !

By -Max-
    Well, actually you beat me to this and the new ones looks way better
    Glad you find the new ones better then ! I tried to improve them a little more on the inside part.

By Chick
    I don't know exactly how to explain this, but something about your mountains looks 2-dimensional, like the fake storefronts they use in movies with nothing behind them.
    I see what you mean, but don't see how to correct this. Except maybe by adding some shadows... I'll do a test about it later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Torfani.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	79352

And a small update, mainly more forests and some shadings on the plateau. I'm wondering about the color of the forests, maybe not enough in the "tropical forest" tone.

Views:	71 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	79391

Just an appreciation: I find that the mountains works perfectly with the forests. The transition between colors is good, which is not yet the case for the plain mountain transition. Like Snodsy, i think there is something to do about this. The open sea is good with this texture, but i'm not sure about the coast... Perhaps a fading of the texture
    The integration of the rivers in the forest has been well executed, well done !
    It' s a pleasure to see It develop.

Looking really nice, Ilanthar! I like it a lot.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    And a small update, mainly more forests and some shadings on the plateau. I'm wondering about the color of the forests, maybe not enough in the "tropical forest" tone.
    You are right. Your forest color is clearly temperate climate forest. Here is a true color satellite picture of the South american rain forest and you note that it is much darker.
    Your ocean is very nice but boy you do like your mountains pointy

Name:	Rainforest.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	581.1 KB 
ID:	79404

Thanks for help and support!

I've reworked a bit the coasts and changed a bit the color of the forests. I don't want something too dark to match the rest of the map, but it's a bit darker anyway.
    @Warlin : I'll rework that transition right after I'm done with forests & other land features.
    @Deadshade : yeah pointy mountains ! Well, it's much more a fantasy map than a realistic one... and there are even more pointy mountains on other parts of the world .

Views:	61 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	79406

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast