Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Valley Map (First Regional) WIP

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    Here it is!! It's very much still WIP in the forest shading, I think I need to play with it some more, and the tower is...well I'm thinking of re-doing it, let's put it that way. However, thought I'd share the update anyway.

Attachment 79477
    Man those hills really tie it up nicely.

As for the trees, are the new ones a different kind of tree?

They are an attempt at a different kind of tree, I figured it didn't have to be the same type of forest in both places. Do you hate it? I was really torn between doing them the other way, or redoing the others, or just leaving it as is!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Map is looking awesome Saria. Nice work!
    Greg

They are an attempt at a different kind of tree, I figured it didn't have to be the same type of forest in both places. Do you hate it? I was really torn between doing them the other way, or redoing the others, or just leaving it as is!
    My own opinion, I think you should do the new trees like the old ones. I think the region is too small to have multiple kinds of trees and that is usually caused by climate, not a river. So as you would go north the trees would go more pine like you show.

Could be just me. I DO think those second trees work, but as you noticed 'something' is off and I think its the fact you wouldn't see two different kinds of forests so close to each other without having a mix or being separated by climate. (Mountains, distance north, etc..)

But take that with a grain of salt. I always feel strange giving anyone advice here, kinda feel like the blind leading the blind some times.

Wip

Here's my update: I even went back and re-did the lines on the first forest to better match. The small orchard is specific to the area with the different trees. Still have so much to learn, but at least I'm getting closer to a finished piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountainattempt10.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	79621

Here's my update: I even went back and re-did the lines on the first forest to better match. The small orchard is specific to the area with the different trees. Still have so much to learn, but at least I'm getting closer to a finished piece.

Name:	Mountainattempt10.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	79621
    A finished piece is my dream. /swoonindaydreamofsuchachieves

Wip

Name:	Mountainattempt-Green.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	6.58 MB 
ID:	79623

So here we are, the final map. It's for a very lush valley, etc. Let me know if you think the effect is no good or ruins it. I fell in love with it, but then I'm new at this

The effect is spot on! I want to see names on the map though! I can't get it right so any idea on how its done is appreciated.

You need a compass symbol and if going for extra super point a fancy legend with the names/description/etc...

Otherwise, that is a legit completed piece. I'm going to go sulk now and draw some new mountains or a billion trees.

Fine work Saria! The lights & shadows are particularly well done. And I think you really improved the forests.

Thanks so much Ilanthar and Robert! I slept on it and now I'm going back and forth between the green border and a more traditional one! We will see what I keep when I finish the labeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast