Thread: First Map

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Wip First Map

Hello all, I've fumbled my way through my first map (below) and would appreciate some feedback. It's a region of a D&D map and is very much a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upload Dratora1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	79490

It's currently missing place names, the key, but does contain the majority of the final piece. It is a pencil sketch currently, but with aim to ink it adding in shadowing (around trees, mountains and the coastal edge), varying line widths and text. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a new dip pen (I lost my old one), and since finishing the basics of this one, got a map buzz and created two more unrelated maps which I'll upload in the WIP section too.

Thank you in advance!

Also, I forgot to thank delgondahntelius whose specific tutorial aided me very much in getting started with hand-drawn map making.

Almost done on this one now. Had a few little bloops with the inks, but mostly fine!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upload Dratora 2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	79576

I'm pretty pleased with it mostly. Some of the labelling could be better. I used the Imhof guide helpfully posted by Ravells, though planned for some of them a little late, so spacing became tight.

A few more place names to add and touching up and I'll be finished with it. Any feedback would be great before put the lid on my first map!

It's a good map GLS. You really captured the "old style illustrative map", imo. It's hard to get good small labels with a hand writing style, but it's legible, and that is what is important.

Thanks, Ilanthar! Like I said, I didn't plan enough in advance for a lot of the labels and that what led to some being so tightly spaced and small. But like you say, they're pretty much all legible!

Always good to learn from your mistakes though!

Very nice! Reminds me of the map of Middle Earth Good job on this piece!

Blog Entries

Very good! Reminds me of the LOTR maps too; it has that "epic touch" haha

Thanks everyone!

I finished it a while ago and uploaded it on the finished maps thread under Ring of Dratora, along another in its set, Collis the Mountain Region. Hopefully, I'll continue to do more in this series, especially with so many kind words to enthuse me further!

Hey not bad for a first attempt! In fact, it is just perfect for a player handout, as it looks like it was done from the perspective of a Medieval cartographer. I like it. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks Arsheesh, that's the kind of thing I was going for so I'm pleased I achieved it!