Thread: How to make a Seamless Texture in Photoshop

Tutorial How to make a Seamless Texture in Photoshop

Part 1. How to easily make a seamless texture pattern in Photoshop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tut seamless pattern.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	661.1 KB 
ID:	79532

Part 2. How to make a larger texture where the repeating pattern is less obvious.

Name:	Tut larger pattern.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	767.6 KB 
ID:	79546
    Last edited by Vhey; 01-26-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added part 2

Simple and easy to follow. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very straightforward. How do you fill out the stones after you have divided them into four between step 4 and 5. The patterns seem different.
    Last edited by Carnifex; 01-26-2016 at 07:04 AM.

For anyone interested in making seamless textures, you also might want to check out Krita (A program I've become rather fond in using, sometimes even over photoshop)
    It has realtime seamless texture painting, so you can see the repeated texture as you paint, which is pretty handy I think.
    The tutorial is very simple, but it would of helped when I was first getting into things
    Also I really like your linework for the stones, I just can't seem to get that effect easily.

Thanks for sharing Vhey, looking forward to part to to actually make use of this.

Thanks guys. Also thanks for the heads up on Krita. I had used Blender before because it has a similar feature but I didn't like the workflow switching between Photoshop and Blender.

Here's part 2. How to make a larger texture that's harder to detect the repeating pattern.

Name:	Tut larger pattern.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	767.6 KB 
ID:	79546

I'll edit the original post to include both.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Very nice.

I think one good thing to mention is how to find the magical "offset" or "wrap around" feature in various apps. Many of us know where it is in PS, and there are a bunch of GIMP experts here at the Guild...

My main production platform is the iPad, so it's important for me to have as many tools that are native to the device as possible. Not that I don't go to the desktop apps from time to time, but it's nice to have a "local" tool. On the iPad, this is an app called ArtStudio. It's a great little photoshop-like swiss army knife of an image design and manipulation app. While I use ProCreate for all the heavy-duty art, there are some things that ProCreate can't do. When you're in ArtStudio and want to do the seamless texture thing, go to the FILTERS menu and choose DISTORT > OFFSET... Just as in PS, you're able to enter precise pixel values.

I also hear that SketchClub on the iPad has an offset tool in the Layers area, but I haven't personally used it. Most other iPad apps that you might think would have an offset filter, such as PS Touch or Pixelmator, don't.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com